Books about 16th C. Russian Costume/Embroidery/Life

  • Kristina Jarvis
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hello fellow Slavic Interest Group members!

      I am looking at trying to build up my research library (starting with
      telling people what I want for Christmas ;) ) and I need a list of books
      that at least cover 16th C. Russia. My Laurel has sent me a list, and I
      have gone through some websites for bibliographies (especially Liudmilla's)
      but I am looking to see if there are other books that people use that may
      not be on my lists. My main focus is 16th Century Russian garb,
      embroidery/pearling, and lifestyle. I also already have the English version
      of the Domostroi.

      The books can be in Russian or English, as I have a scanner, Adobe Acrobat
      Professional, and translation methods.

      Thanks for all your help!

      Kseniia

    • Tatiana
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
        Greetings Kseniia!

        Look for works of Sigizmund Gerberstein (he was a German ambassador in Russia at the time of Ivan The Terrible) and also Ivan Zabelin (who, while in XVII c, but was interested in earlier history and wrote quite a few books). While without images, the books have good descriptions.

        Good luck!
        Tatiana Moskovskaia

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2012
          Do you know the names of the translators? Or where I may find those books?
          Having a rough time finding them through my usual spots.

          Thanks!
          Kristina

        • Anya Stickney
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2012
            As always, google is a good resource...

            Google 'Sigizmund Gerberstein', and look in the books tab. This gives you
            several books by 'Sigismund Herberstein' about Moscow and Russia. Those are
            probably the ones Tatiana was referring to.

            Also works for Ivan Zabelin. Especially, if you limit the google books
            search by "author:Ivan Zabelin"

            Anya

            On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Kristina Jarvis
            <kristina.jarvis@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Do you know the names of the translators? Or where I may find those books?
            > Having a rough time finding them through my usual spots.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Kristina

          • Tatiana Golter
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
              You could also look on Amazon, just put the author name in the search. I
              will look up the book names later tonight, when I get home from work.

              Tatiana