Re: [sig] File - FAQ.txt

  • Patty
    Message 1 of 120 , Dec 2, 2012
      Dear friends and moderators:

      The address for the old SIG archives (http://sig-arc.hypermart.net) no longer works. :-(

      In service,
      Lady Patricia of Trakai

      -----Original Message-----
      From: sig <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      To: sig <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sun, Dec 2, 2012 1:10 am
      Subject: [sig] File - FAQ.txt

      Slavic Interest Group Mailing List (SIG-L) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
      Last update: 27 March 2005
      Main SIG page
      http://slavic.freeservers.com

      Main SIG-L page (message archives, etc.)

      Old SIG Message Archives
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/

      SIG organizer
      Paul Wickenden of Thanet (goldschp@...)

      SIG-L moderators
      Default (sig-owner@...)
      Yana (yana@...)
      Liudmila (LiudmilaV@...)

      List Basics

      ** What is sig@yahoogroups.com?
      The SIG List (hereafter called "SIG-L") provides a discussion forum on the
      history and culture of the Medieval Slavic, Eastern European, and Central
      European world. We are aimed specifically towards members of the Society for
      Creative Anachronism (SCA) with Slavic, Eastern European and Central European
      personas, but we provide information and resources to anyone.

      ** Are SIG-L and the Slavic Interest Group the same organization?
      No. SIG-L is an offshoot of the larger and older Slavic Interest Group
      (hereafter called "SIG"). SIG-L was established as an additional way for
      members of SIG to talk to each other more quickly than via the quarterly
      newsletter. Not all the members of SIG are on SIG-L and vice versa. This means
      that if you are a member of SIG-L, it does not automatically make you a member
      of SIG. To become a member of SIG, write to the SIG organizer at
      goldschp@... or go to http://slavic.freeservers.com and follow the links
      there. Membership is free. We just ask that you be willing to share what you
      know with the rest of us.

      ** What cultures does SIG-L cover?
      SIG-L (and SIG) covers all the former members of the Soviet Union (just for
      convenience, no political agenda is implied). We encompass the medieval
      cultures of Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Transylvania, Latvia, Lithuania,
      Karelia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Great Moravia, Croatia, Serbia,
      Bosnia, Dalmatia, Albania, Poland, Estonia, Belarus, Moldova, Armenia, Georgia,
      Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Kirgizistan, Kazakhstan, Turkestan,
      Khazaria, and any related ethnic groups. We aren't _just_ a Slavic
      organization, it is just simpler to call ourselves "SIG" instead of trying to
      incorporate the initials of all the countries and groups we cover.

      ** You mentioned a newsletter...
      SIG publishes "Slovo", our quarterly newsletter. "Slovo" means "word" in many
      Slavic languages, so we thought it would be a good name for the newsletter. It
      comes out in the middle of the months of January, April, July and October. The
      submission deadlines are the first of those same months. Slovo is available
      free on the web off the main SIG page. Back issues are also archived there. If
      you need a paper copy, write to the editor at goldschp@.... Paper copies
      are also free, but donations are cheerfully accepted to cover copying and
      mailing costs.

      ** Does SIG-L have archives?
      Yes, in two places. The older archives can be viewed at
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/ The more recent archives are at

      ** What can I talk about here on SIG-L?
      Anything relating to pre-1650 CE (approximately) Slavic or Eastern or Central
      European history and culture or anything Slavic, Eastern European or Central
      European as it pertains to the SCA is welcome here. Sometimes we talk about
      modern subjects, which is okay as long as we generally stay on topic. Feel free
      to start a new topic, ask questions or debate a subject. We have beginners on
      the List as well as advanced and professional researchers, but everyone is
      friendly and we all welcome questions and subjects at any level.

      ** What is not permitted on the list?
      a) Personal Flamewars. Debating a subject is fine, heated argument is not.
      b) Personal Attacks/Rudeness. Attack the argument, not the author.
      c) Ethnic, Regional, Racist, and Cultural insults. This is absolutely not
      acceptable here.
      d) SPAM. This includes chain letters, appeals from charities, virus warnings,
      etc.
      e) UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Email). Commercial posts are allowed if they
      are pre-approved by one of the moderators.

      ** What are the basic commands for this list?
      SIG-L is based off YahooGroups, a web-based provider. Through YahooGroups
      (http://www.yahoogroups.com) you can subscribe, unsubscribe and otherwise manage
      your account. Simply enter your email address and the password you were given
      when you subscribed and follow the directions there. If you are not yet a
      member, follow the directions given there to sign up for an account.

      ** What if I don't have web-access or don't want to use the YahooGroups
      website?
      Not a problem, you can still manage your subscription easily (and you don't even
      need a password). Send a blank email (no message or subject) to the appropriate
      address below:

      sig-subscribe@yahoogroups.com - subscribe to SIG

      Be sure to reply to any message that YahooGroups sends you about your account
      (and save your password if you were given one!). If you don't reply,
      YahooGroups may think you didn't want to really subscribe/unsubscribe/change
      your settings. This is a safety precaution done to prevent subscribers from
      being the victims of pranksters.

      **I'm on the digest. How do I reply to separate messages?
      To reply to a message found on the digest, 'cut' the contents of the message
      that you wish to quote, 'paste' it in a message to sig@yahoogroups.com, and add
      your comments. Make sure you do NOT reply directly to the From: field on the
      digest! If this becomes a habit, then you will be put on a moderated status and
      misdirected replies will be silently deleted.

      List Courtesy

      **I think that someone is being rude and insulting! What can I do?
      First, try reading the post again. Sometimes it is hard to tell what a person
      is really saying because of the difficulties of communicating using email. It
      also helps if you read all the posts on a subject before you respond, especially
      if you get the digest. Sometimes the concern has already been addressed.

      If you still have a problem with what is being said, you have two options:
      a) Talk to a moderator about your concerns. It is their job is to handle stuff
      like this.
      b) Reply to the sender of the message without flaming

      **What is "flaming"?
      Flaming is a post, usually containing an argument or reply, that serves only to
      exacerbate the situation. If you have written something in the heat of anger,
      irritation or excitement please re-read the post and take out the elements of
      possible insult while getting the logic of your point across. Flaming is a big
      "no-no" on this List and offenders will be put on probation and moderated
      (messages will be reviewed by a moderator before being sent to the List).
      Overstepping the bounds of civility and courtesy, on mistake or on purpose, will
      not be tolerated. If the flaming continues, the offender(s) will be banned
      permanently.

      **I think we are drifting off topic/I think this list is too advanced for me.
      If you are concerned that the topic has drifted, feel free to restate the
      original topic and try to get everyone back on track. Just do it in a polite
      manner. As for concerns about the List being too advanced, please ask questions
      about what you don't understand. You will find people are very willing to
      explain and clarify. While it is true that sometimes the discussions can get a
      bit esoteric, please remember that this List is aimed towards all levels of
      research interest.

      **Anything else I should know?
      a) Please clip your posts! This means only quoting what is relevant to your own
      post and not including the entire letter unless absolutely necessary (which is
      extremely rare). It gets very annoying very quickly to have to page down
      through an entire letter (or more!) that someone has stuck on the end of their
      reply.

      b) Keep subject lines relevant. If a message thread has evolved to something
      that has nothing to do with the original subject, please feel free to change the
      subject line to something more appropriate.

      Research

      ** Can you recommend some books for different eras and peoples?
      There is an extensive bibliography (with notes) on the web at the main SIG page
      You can also write to the list and ask for recommendations or reviews of
      specific books, but it is a lot faster if you look at the SIG bibliography
      first.

      ** Where can I find help developing my persona?
      You are in luck! There are several web pages that members of SIG-L have
      created. We call them Knowledge Pages. They are aimed towards a specific
      country and include information on dress, food, naming practices, persona
      development, history, language and other themes. Simply find the Knowledge Page
      you wish and read, read, read!

      **What are "the Knowledge Pages?"
      They are a series of country-based web pages that are organized using similar
      subject categories to aid research. Here you can find information on a wide
      variety of subjects such as food, dress, persona development, history and much
      more. You can find the Knowledge Pages under our "Links" on YahooGroups, or
      visit the main SIG page.

      ** Where can I find someone near me?
      Feel free to ask on SIG-L! This is also where becoming a member of SIG comes in
      handy. SIG maintains a member list that lists name, location, interests and
      contact information. You can simply scan the list and contact whomever you
      choose. It is linked off the main SIG page under "members".

      ** Are there recipes for my culture? Where would I find them?
      ** Where can I get ideas for clothing from my culture?
      ** What about music and art?

      To all the above: First, check out the appropriate Knowledge Page for the
      culture in question. You might also want to check out the Florilegium, a major
      collection of messages arranged by subject headings. The Florilegium is at
      http://www.florilegium.org/
      If you can't find answers there, try writing to the List.

      We hope this FAQ has been helpful. If you have any further questions or
      suggestions, please let us know.

      Happy Researching!

    • sig@yahoogroups.com
      Message 120 of 120 , May 1 9:15 AM
        Slavic Interest Group Mailing List (SIG-L) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
        Last update: 2 December 2012
        Main SIG page
        http://slavic.freeservers.com

        Main SIG-L page (message archives, etc.)

        SIG organizer
        Paul Wickenden of Thanet (goldschp@...)

        SIG-L moderators
        Paul (goldschp@...)

[...]