Re: [sig] Help whit embroidery

  • Anya Stickney
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
      I think my problem was that I was assuming that XIX c. embroidery was
      representative of XI c. embroidery. I've read this in several Russian
      folk embroidery books, and was very confused by the discontinuity I
      was seeing between modern embroidery and period surviving folk art
      (wood cuts, ceramics, leather, etc.). I was expecting to find
      very-detailed geometrical designs, but that is not what I was seeing.
      But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
      http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
      (in Russian) that says that embroidery is an ever-changing thing.
      Certain motifs may remain, but techniques, stitches, attention to
      certain details, all change with time. Once I realized this,
      everything made a lot more sense. Modern embroidery can be used for
      clues as to what motifs period embroidery had, but it cannot be seen
      as representative of period embroidery.

      Anya

      On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Sheila Horon <sshoron@...> wrote:

      > I am not an expert on Rus embroidery, but two things come to mind. Are the rubakha an navershnik that you are looking at from the same period and from the same area? The earliest designs tended to be more geometric and gradually evolved into the more organic. Different areas of Russia also had their own styles of embroidery. Slava
      > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      > From: iegrappling@...
      > Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:04:58 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [sig] Help whit embroidery

      > I'm sorry I can't help much, but I'm very interested in what others have to day.
      >
      > What little I do know is that the embroidery often was to keep the spirits from entering your clothes. Maybe that reason plays in to the motifs somehow.
      >

      > -Halbrust

    • Tatiana
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
        Awesome article, thank you for sharing
        Tatiana

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

        > But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
        > http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
        > Anya

      • dok
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
          Argh! My primary internet is my droid. Did anyone notîce if there was a translatîon ôption embedded?
          Thanks!
          'dok
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Tatiana" <littlegreensardine@...> wrote:

          > Awesome article, thank you for sharing
          > Tatiana
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anya Stickney <anyas5@> wrote:
          >
          > > But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
          > > http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
          > > Anya

        • Anya Stickney
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
            No, I think it's primarily in Russian. But Google does a decent job
            translating it.

            Anya