RE: [sig] Help whit embroidery

  • Sheila Horon
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
      I am not an expert on Rus embroidery, but two things come to mind. Are the rubakha an navershnik that you are looking at from the same period and from the same area? The earliest designs tended to be more geometric and gradually evolved into the more organic. Different areas of Russia also had their own styles of embroidery. Slava
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      From: iegrappling@...
      Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:04:58 -0400
      Subject: Re: [sig] Help whit embroidery

      I'm sorry I can't help much, but I'm very interested in what others have to day.

      What little I do know is that the embroidery often was to keep the spirits from entering your clothes. Maybe that reason plays in to the motifs somehow.

      -Halbrust

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
        I think my problem was that I was assuming that XIX c. embroidery was
        representative of XI c. embroidery. I've read this in several Russian
        folk embroidery books, and was very confused by the discontinuity I
        was seeing between modern embroidery and period surviving folk art
        (wood cuts, ceramics, leather, etc.). I was expecting to find
        very-detailed geometrical designs, but that is not what I was seeing.
        But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
        http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
        (in Russian) that says that embroidery is an ever-changing thing.
        Certain motifs may remain, but techniques, stitches, attention to
        certain details, all change with time. Once I realized this,
        everything made a lot more sense. Modern embroidery can be used for
        clues as to what motifs period embroidery had, but it cannot be seen
        as representative of period embroidery.

        Anya

        On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Sheila Horon <sshoron@...> wrote:

        > I am not an expert on Rus embroidery, but two things come to mind. Are the rubakha an navershnik that you are looking at from the same period and from the same area? The earliest designs tended to be more geometric and gradually evolved into the more organic. Different areas of Russia also had their own styles of embroidery. Slava
        > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        > From: iegrappling@...
        > Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:04:58 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [sig] Help whit embroidery

        > I'm sorry I can't help much, but I'm very interested in what others have to day.
        >
        > What little I do know is that the embroidery often was to keep the spirits from entering your clothes. Maybe that reason plays in to the motifs somehow.
        >

        > -Halbrust

      • Tatiana
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
          Awesome article, thank you for sharing
          Tatiana

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

          > But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
          > http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
          > Anya

        • dok
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
            Argh! My primary internet is my droid. Did anyone notîce if there was a translatîon ôption embedded?
            Thanks!
            'dok
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Tatiana" <littlegreensardine@...> wrote:

            > Awesome article, thank you for sharing
            > Tatiana
            >
            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Anya Stickney <anyas5@> wrote:
            >
            > > But a few days ago I found this article (reprinted here
            > > http://www.perunica.ru/tradicii/1171-o-simvolike-russkoj-krestyanskoj-vyshivki.html)
            > > Anya

          • Anya Stickney
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
              No, I think it's primarily in Russian. But Google does a decent job
              translating it.

              Anya