Re: Czech name help

  • Michael FitzGeoffrey
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
      It's not a matter of the name being used by COMMON people so much as that
      it was used among actual humans (as opposed to legendary/mythical/fictional
      characters).

      - *Michael*
      *
      **Given in loyal service by mine own hand and seal this 24 day of
      September, A.S. XLVII, I am
      *
      *Lord Michael FitzGeoffrey, GdS, OLM, **Midhaven Pursuivant*
      *
      *

      http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?title=Michael_FitzGeoffrey
      http://www.michaelfitzgeoffrey.blogspot.com/

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
        Hi Libusa and everyone else!

        <<snip>>
        > > The closest dated form I can see, to Libusa is "Mach", in 1052. So possibly
        > > Machovicha? But that is still 382 years apart. SENA wants elements to be
        > > 300 years apart.
        <<snip>>

        SENA is the abbreviation for the rules the SCA college of heralds use. The reason why I'm obsessing over 300 years is because although <Libusa> shows up in a Russian source, it is referring to a semi-legendary Czech princess. So while you can combine Czech and Russian under SENA,there can only be 300 years difference between them.

        <<snip>>
        > > Are you combining the early Mach with -ovicha? Is that a common practice in
        > > the SCA?? I would rather go with a change in spelling, then a change in
        > > pronounciation. Machovicha is very close to Makovička..as the čka...is
        > > actually pronounced "ch-ka".
        <<snip>>

        As far as I am aware, Czech names are gender dependant. Makovic^ka isn't formed correctly for the modern language, at least. It probably should be Makovic^kova/, where the a/ is an a-acute. So you may need to change pronunciation anyway.
        The tricky thing, is that you either are going to need to find dated instances of both parts of the name in a Czech/Bohemian context, as well as figure out how to form the byname correctly.

        <<snip>>
        > > I could not find:
        > >
        > > *(Nikola Makovich Dragovich). 1454. [Mor 117] "* in Pauls Russian
        > > Dictionary.
        <<snip>>

        Under <Mak>, here: http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ma.html

        Good luck!

        ffride
      • John Staeck
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
          In Czech and other languages throughout the region, the use of a diminutive is sometimes added as a form of personalization.  The "KA" ending is one such form in Czech, as can be KO. An example would be Jiri (George) becoming Jirko, or a different Czech system changes Pavel to Paveli.   It is unclear if there is some form of diminutive at work over the years or not here, I do not pretend to be an expert.  It is something to watch out for, though.

          Pax - Janos/John  aka (to his grandparents) as Janci (Yan-chee) (which is one such diminutive in Hungarian)

          ________________________________
          > > The closest dated form I can see, to Libusa is "Mach", in 1052. So possibly
          > > Machovicha? But that is still 382 years apart. SENA wants elements to be
          > > 300 years apart.
          <<snip>>

          SENA is the abbreviation for the rules the SCA college of heralds use. The reason why I'm obsessing over 300 years is because although <Libusa> shows up in a Russian source, it is referring to a semi-legendary Czech princess. So while you can combine Czech and Russian under SENA,there can only be 300 years difference between them.

          <<snip>>
          > > Are you combining the early Mach with -ovicha? Is that a common practice in
          > > the SCA?? I would rather go with a change in spelling, then a change in
          > > pronounciation. Machovicha is very close to Makovička..as the čka...is
          > > actually pronounced "ch-ka".
          <<snip>>

          As far as I am aware, Czech names are gender dependant. Makovic^ka isn't formed correctly for the modern language, at least. It probably should be Makovic^kova/, where the a/ is an a-acute. So you may need to change pronunciation anyway.
          The tricky thing, is that you either are going to need to find dated instances of both parts of the name in a Czech/Bohemian context, as well as figure out how to form the byname correctly.

          <<snip>>
          > > I could not find:
          > >
          > > *(Nikola Makovich Dragovich). 1454. [Mor 117] "* in Pauls Russian
          > > Dictionary.
          <<snip>>

          Under <Mak>, here: http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ma.html

          Good luck!

          ffride

        • Mary Stoughton
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2012
            I heard my Grandfather Americanized the pronounciation of Makovička. From
            Mauk-o-vichka to Mak-o-vicka. His friends called him Mak. There are so
            many Makovickas in the Czech Republic, I dont think he changed the
            spelling.

            That aside, from what you are saying Janis, the root of my Grandfathers
            name is Makovi? Then the Ka is added as an endearment or familiarity?

            Libuše/Mary