Re: [sig] Re: Czech name help

  • jessica carlock
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
      so, 'Mach' is a given name.. one of the options for turning it into a
      patronymic byname (name showing relationship) gives us 'Machovicha'

      'Libusa' is fine as a given name, and actually the new rules (SENA) allow
      up to 500 years in the same naming group, which these are. So, Libusa
      Machovicha is a perfectly registerable russianized version.

      Marya Aestel

      On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Mary Stoughton <libuse.makovicka@...
      > wrote:

      > **
      >

      > ffride (Quokkaqueen), you posted some information to help me with my name:
      > Libuse Makovicka. I really appreciate your efforts, as each snippet of
      > information brings me closer to my quest.
      >
      > Please forgive my lack of understanding, but when you said:
      >
      > The closest dated form I can see, to Libusa is "Mach", in 1052. So possibly
      > Machovicha? But that is still 382 years apart. SENA wants elements to be
      > 300 years apart.
      >
      > There is also the earlier "Malk-" from 970, which is right on 300 years,
      > but may be too different from what the submitter wants.
      >
      > So <Libusa Machovicha> might be a Russian-ised medieval form of <Libuše
      > MakoviÄ ka>? (I cannot figure out where that final -ka syllable comes from,
      > sorry.) But for temporal consistency, she might have to try <Libusa
      > Malkicha>?
      >
      > Are you combining the early Mach with -ovicha? Is that a common practice in
      > the SCA?? I would rather go with a change in spelling, then a change in
      > pronounciation. Machovicha is very close to Makovička..as the čka...is
      > actually pronounced "ch-ka".
      >
      > Malk on the other hand means "weak". bla.
      >
      > I could not find:
      >
      > *(Nikola Makovich Dragovich). 1454. [Mor 117] "* in Pauls Russian
      > Dictionary.
      >
      > The 13th century Codex Gigas is so cool. Our Midhaven herald found old
      > land records. I have not sadly taken the time to comb through them.
      >
      > I had heard of the Chronicle of Bohemians. A monk went about getting first
      > hand accounts of the Czech history...as up to that time nothing had been
      > written down.
      >
      > Thank-you so much for taking the time to write, sorry it took me so long to
      > respond.
      >
      > Libuše Makovička
      > Webminister,
      > Shire of Midhaven <http://midhaven.antir.sca.org/>

    • Mary Stoughton
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
        Thank-you for responding, Marya.

        I am willing to go with a Russian name...but what I am after is Czech. * Is
        it common to see Russian surnames in the Czech Republic?*

        Secondly, Libuse was a Czech Princess (myth or real is a matter of
        opinion)...somehow I need to see Libuse or Libusa or Liboosa *being used
        amongst the common population* within 500 years (I am very glad for the
        new SENA rules!) of my surname.

        Am I correct in my assumption?
        Thank-you all for your time,
        Mary

      • Michael FitzGeoffrey
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
          It's not a matter of the name being used by COMMON people so much as that
          it was used among actual humans (as opposed to legendary/mythical/fictional
          characters).

          - *Michael*
          *
          **Given in loyal service by mine own hand and seal this 24 day of
          September, A.S. XLVII, I am
          *
          *Lord Michael FitzGeoffrey, GdS, OLM, **Midhaven Pursuivant*
          *
          *

          http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?title=Michael_FitzGeoffrey
          http://www.michaelfitzgeoffrey.blogspot.com/

        • Quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
            Hi Libusa and everyone else!

            <<snip>>
            > > The closest dated form I can see, to Libusa is "Mach", in 1052. So possibly
            > > Machovicha? But that is still 382 years apart. SENA wants elements to be
            > > 300 years apart.
            <<snip>>

            SENA is the abbreviation for the rules the SCA college of heralds use. The reason why I'm obsessing over 300 years is because although <Libusa> shows up in a Russian source, it is referring to a semi-legendary Czech princess. So while you can combine Czech and Russian under SENA,there can only be 300 years difference between them.

            <<snip>>
            > > Are you combining the early Mach with -ovicha? Is that a common practice in
            > > the SCA?? I would rather go with a change in spelling, then a change in
            > > pronounciation. Machovicha is very close to Makovička..as the čka...is
            > > actually pronounced "ch-ka".
            <<snip>>

            As far as I am aware, Czech names are gender dependant. Makovic^ka isn't formed correctly for the modern language, at least. It probably should be Makovic^kova/, where the a/ is an a-acute. So you may need to change pronunciation anyway.
            The tricky thing, is that you either are going to need to find dated instances of both parts of the name in a Czech/Bohemian context, as well as figure out how to form the byname correctly.

            <<snip>>
            > > I could not find:
            > >
            > > *(Nikola Makovich Dragovich). 1454. [Mor 117] "* in Pauls Russian
            > > Dictionary.
            <<snip>>

            Under <Mak>, here: http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ma.html

            Good luck!

            ffride
          • John Staeck
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
              In Czech and other languages throughout the region, the use of a diminutive is sometimes added as a form of personalization.  The "KA" ending is one such form in Czech, as can be KO. An example would be Jiri (George) becoming Jirko, or a different Czech system changes Pavel to Paveli.   It is unclear if there is some form of diminutive at work over the years or not here, I do not pretend to be an expert.  It is something to watch out for, though.

              Pax - Janos/John  aka (to his grandparents) as Janci (Yan-chee) (which is one such diminutive in Hungarian)

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2012
                I heard my Grandfather Americanized the pronounciation of Makovička. From
                Mauk-o-vichka to Mak-o-vicka. His friends called him Mak. There are so
                many Makovickas in the Czech Republic, I dont think he changed the
                spelling.

                That aside, from what you are saying Janis, the root of my Grandfathers
                name is Makovi? Then the Ka is added as an endearment or familiarity?

                Libuše/Mary