Re: [sig] Re: Russian bows

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 13, 2012
      On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

      > I shoot off my hand too. Like an english longbow, the horsebow has no arrow
      > rest or shelf so you shoou "around" the handle! Resultr in the arrow flexing
      > more than normal, or the tail waggle I described!

      Yes ! It's important to shoot arrows with the correct "spine" -- I've
      seen too-light arrows explode coming out of the bow due to not being
      able to withstand that flex. I also hadn't realized before how the
      weight/spine of the arrow effects your aim point (see
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer%27s_paradox for a decent
      explanation). Less of an issue with lighter poundage bows, but a good
      reason not to mix/borrow arrows if you can avoid it -- although I
      suppose a skilled archer would be able to adjust for the weight of the
      arrow, same as adjusting for wind speed and direction... :^)

      Kazimira
    • captain sandusky
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 14, 2012
        I have been meaning to post for a while on this topic as it is one very dear to me.  There are several styles used by the people of "Russia" one thing that they all have in common is they were mostly of Asiatic influence.  The Russians like the Poles, Turks, and Tatars used the bow well into the 17th Century.

        The bows used by the Kipchaks (Cumans) as evidence by the Mosheveya Balka bow found in the Caucasus was a non contact recurve bow very typical of the steppe tribes of what is now none as Russia.  The Mongolian bow we know today is not the Mongolian bow of Genghis Khan but a cross between the Manchu bow what and Tibetan bows.  The original Mongol bow is believed to be more like a non contact recurve that evolved into the Crimean Tatar bows.  Here is a good link for bows found in Russian Museums: http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1256&highlight=russian

        As far as shooting I shoot several different Asiatic recurves including a Magyar Hornbow made by Grozer.  A great bow is the Kassai Panther very smooth, and fast the unstrung shape is also very true to the Asian hornbows.  I shoot off the hand with a thumb ring.  When this technique is perfected the fish tailing of the arrow due to the paradox is negated.  One thing about these bows is that they really shine when drawn past 28" so even if you shoot with fingers I would recommend drawing the bow to the ear to get the siyahs (static tips) working.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2012
          Hi,
          So this is kinda OT, but I figured what the hey.
          I just watched a movie called 'First Squad'.  It's a feature Anime, the first ever made in Russia.  It's set in WWII but the reason I thought I'd give it a shout out here, is that the plot deals with Nazi occultists resurrecting the Teutonic Knights, and so Russia must come up with it's own occult warriors to essentially re-fight the Battle of the Ice at Lake Peipus.  Only one allusion to Alexander Nevsky, but still, it was fun to know the history behind the plot.

          Cheers,
          Sfandra Dmitrieva