Russian bows

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
      Greetings!

      I'm looking for a new bow and I'd like to tailor it to my Russian persona.

      Right now I'm leaning toward a Kassai bow, but not sure which one is right.

      Has anyone gotten a bow to match a Russian persona?
      What did you get? How did it work out?
      All advice and suggestions are welcome :)

      Thank you all in advance,

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

    • Tatiana Golter
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
        My daughter uses a mongolian horse bow. The earlier period would be, I
        believe, a longbow.
        Hope this helps,

        Tatiana

      • Laura Munn
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
          I, as well, use a Mongolian horse bow. There are samples of that style bow
          in period. And oh, they are a dream to shoot.

          -Katrusha

          On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Tatiana Golter <
          littlegreensardine@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > My daughter uses a mongolian horse bow. The earlier period would be, I
          > believe, a longbow.
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Tatiana

          My SCA work: http://katrusha.blogspot.com/

          My artwork: http://arathreel.deviantart.com/

          My baked goods:
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=251805&id=510143252&l=8fcf80877f

          Laura Munn AKA Katrusha the Skomorokh
          Artist
          Writer
          Baker

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
            I will probably need a new bow by next Pennsic.   Tell me about using the horsebow: do you have an arrow rest or do you use a shooting glove?

            --Sfandra

            ******************
            Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            http://sfandra.webs.com
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
            ******************

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
              I shoot off my glove. They normally do not come with rests.

              -Katrusha

            • Ladie Lada
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
                I posted this question to FB as well. The best advice seems a Magyar bow.
                One person specifically recommends a kassai bow raven model, that he shoots.
                Looks like they all shoot off hand.

                Lada

                Sent from my iPhone

              • Patches the gypsy
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12, 2012
                  *groan, Patches is posting again...*

                  I shoot a mongolian and there are advantages and disadvantages.

                  Adavntages:

                  The "stacking" when you draw the bow id very different. Most people feel that it is far easier to draw a 30# mongolian than a 30# recurve or longbow.

                  Shooting "period" (if you shoot the correct type of arrows) is slightly more prestigious. Mainly because of the difficulties.

                  Mongolians and other bows that are shot off the hand don't have a right or left handed designation. So if you and a friend want to shoot the same bow but you're a righty and he's a lefty, it doesn't matter.

                  You can shoot a mongolian "standing style" (so if you're holding the bow with your left and releasing the arrow with your right, you arrow is perched on your left hand) or traditional horse mounted style with a thumbring, in which the arrow is perched on the LEFT side of the bow. That takes a lot of getting used to, and most archers in the SCA don't do it because it's so wonky.

                  Disadvantages:

                  Any "period" bow requires that you shoot off to one side. if you're shooting righty and you are standing right in front of the target, you will have to cant your bow to the right of the target to hit it. This is because most modern recurves that we learn on have a shelf cut in through the middle of the bow, allowing you to shoot straight on. Period bows weren't made that way because of material strength. So you have to shoot around it, so it will take you a while to get used to altering your aiming technique..

                  Any bow made by Kassai tends to be 2x more expensive. My mongolian 30# ran about $400 new.

                  Getting or making a new bowstring sucks. You either have to have a special jig to make one or remember all your specifics and order it online. Welsh-twisted bowstrings won't work because the loops at each end of the string are almost 6" long to accomodate the the structure of the bow when bent.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Patches

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Ladie Lada <ladie_lada@...> wrote:

                  > I posted this question to FB as well. The best advice seems a Magyar bow.
                  > One person specifically recommends a kassai bow raven model, that he shoots.
                  > Looks like they all shoot off hand.
                  >
                  > Lada
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Sep 11, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Laura Munn <arathreel@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I shoot off my glove. They normally do not come with rests.
                  > >
                  > > -Katrusha
                  > >
                  > > On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> **
                  > >>

                  > >> I will probably need a new bow by next Pennsic. Tell me about using the
                  > >> horsebow: do you have an arrow rest or do you use a shooting glove?
                  > >>
                  > >> --Sfandra
                  > >>
                  > >> ******************
                  > >> Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  > >> O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
                  > >> http://sfandra.webs.com
                  > >> Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  > >> ******************
                  > >>

                  > >> ________________________________

                • T Duran
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12, 2012
                    > You can shoot a mongolian "standing style" (so if you're holding the bow
                    > with your left and releasing the arrow with your right, you arrow is perched
                    > on your left hand) or traditional horse mounted style with a thumbring, in
                    > which the arrow is perched on the LEFT side of the bow. That takes a lot of
                    > getting used to, and most archers in the SCA don't do it because it's so
                    > wonky.

                    Some additional observations (some of which probably won't make sense
                    just to read it without trying it yourself) :

                    If you are a right-handed archer (gripping the bow in your left hand)
                    shooting with a western three-finger draw, you'll have the arrow
                    resting on your left hand to the left of the bow. This is in part
                    because as you release, the string rolls slightly off the pads of your
                    right fingers, which has the effect of pressing the arrow shaft
                    slightly against the bow as it leaves the string. (if you shot off the
                    right of the bow, the torque as you release would send the arrow
                    whanging off to the right)

                    If you are a right-handed archer using a thumb draw, that slight twist
                    of the string is reversed (the string is rolling off your thumb
                    instead). The arrow must therefore rest on your left hand to the
                    RIGHT of the bow, to counteract the twist (although, the twist is much
                    much less with the string released from a smooth ring).

                    The two big advantages (we found) to shooting off the right side of the bow are:

                    1) It's much faster -- you don't have to thread the arrow through the
                    arc of the bow - you just slap it onto the side, draw, and release in
                    one smooth motion

                    2) You can hold the arrow in position with the fingers of the hand
                    that's gripping the bow, leaving your string hand free to do whatever

                    Issues we've had are as Patches describes: if you're switching from
                    western draw to thumb draw, you have to unlearn a certain amount of
                    body memory -- your aim point and your draw point will both need to
                    adjust. In the miniatures, draw point is somewhere around your
                    clavicle, but the arrows I'm currently shooting with aren't long
                    enough for that.

                    I've made things triply hard for myself: I'm trying to shoot without
                    a knocking bead, and I'm experimenting with the Chinese barrel-shaped
                    thumb ring, which introduces a whole additional set of
                    complications...

                    The regular Indo-Persian style ring is actually pretty sweet, though,
                    once you get used to it.

                    Kazimira
                  • Ladie Lada
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2012
                      That totally makes sense. A friend has a Mongolian bow and shoots at our practice so I have observed exactly what you describe.

                      Also I read somewhere that the Russian draw was with your index finger on/along the arrow and the muddle to little drawing the string underneath. I can only see that working if u r shooting from the right side if the bow if u r right handed and left side if left handed.
                      That would also help stabilize the arrow by having a finger along it.
                      I will find the source and post tonight or tomorrow.

                      Lada

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 13, 2012
                        I shoot off my hand too. Like an english longbow, the horsebow has no arrow rest or shelf so you shoou "around" the handle! Resultr in the arrow flexing more than normal, or the tail waggle I described! Ziggy has my Grozier Tatar short bow, so he will have a very current eval. I have thd Kassai Raven and it was worth EVERY penny Î paid!
                        'dok

                        ------------------------------

                      • T Duran
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 13, 2012
                          On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                          > I shoot off my hand too. Like an english longbow, the horsebow has no arrow
                          > rest or shelf so you shoou "around" the handle! Resultr in the arrow flexing
                          > more than normal, or the tail waggle I described!

                          Yes ! It's important to shoot arrows with the correct "spine" -- I've
                          seen too-light arrows explode coming out of the bow due to not being
                          able to withstand that flex. I also hadn't realized before how the
                          weight/spine of the arrow effects your aim point (see
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer%27s_paradox for a decent
                          explanation). Less of an issue with lighter poundage bows, but a good
                          reason not to mix/borrow arrows if you can avoid it -- although I
                          suppose a skilled archer would be able to adjust for the weight of the
                          arrow, same as adjusting for wind speed and direction... :^)

                          Kazimira
                        • captain sandusky
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 14, 2012
                            I have been meaning to post for a while on this topic as it is one very dear to me.  There are several styles used by the people of "Russia" one thing that they all have in common is they were mostly of Asiatic influence.  The Russians like the Poles, Turks, and Tatars used the bow well into the 17th Century.

                            The bows used by the Kipchaks (Cumans) as evidence by the Mosheveya Balka bow found in the Caucasus was a non contact recurve bow very typical of the steppe tribes of what is now none as Russia.  The Mongolian bow we know today is not the Mongolian bow of Genghis Khan but a cross between the Manchu bow what and Tibetan bows.  The original Mongol bow is believed to be more like a non contact recurve that evolved into the Crimean Tatar bows.  Here is a good link for bows found in Russian Museums: http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1256&highlight=russian

                            As far as shooting I shoot several different Asiatic recurves including a Magyar Hornbow made by Grozer.  A great bow is the Kassai Panther very smooth, and fast the unstrung shape is also very true to the Asian hornbows.  I shoot off the hand with a thumb ring.  When this technique is perfected the fish tailing of the arrow due to the paradox is negated.  One thing about these bows is that they really shine when drawn past 28" so even if you shoot with fingers I would recommend drawing the bow to the ear to get the siyahs (static tips) working.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 22, 2012
                              Hi,
                              So this is kinda OT, but I figured what the hey.
                              I just watched a movie called 'First Squad'.  It's a feature Anime, the first ever made in Russia.  It's set in WWII but the reason I thought I'd give it a shout out here, is that the plot deals with Nazi occultists resurrecting the Teutonic Knights, and so Russia must come up with it's own occult warriors to essentially re-fight the Battle of the Ice at Lake Peipus.  Only one allusion to Alexander Nevsky, but still, it was fun to know the history behind the plot.

                              Cheers,
                              Sfandra Dmitrieva