Oath Translation

  • Scott Bradley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25 12:01 PM
      Hi,
      My name is Capt. Boris Movila, I am a long time lurker on
      this listserve. I was recently put on vigil for the Order of the Chivalry.
      My persona is Wallachian and to add a little extra to the ceremony I would
      like to recite my knight's oath in Hungarian. Is there anyone on this list,
      willing and able to help me out? See the text below. If possible I would
      like the exact and phonetic write ups. Thanks.

      "I here swear fealty and do homage
      to the Crown of the Middle Kingdom:
      To ever be a good knight and true,
      Reverent and generous,
      Shield of the weak,
      Obedient to my liege-lord,
      Foremost in battle,
      Courteous at all times,
      Champion of the right and the good.
      Thus swear I, Sir <<Name>>"

      Capt. Boris Movila
      Warlord, Barony of Flaming Gryphon

    • Katinka
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27 3:54 PM
        Congratulations!

        Can't wait to see the translation. :)
      • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28 4:41 PM
          Have you tried Google translate?

        • Scott Bradley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28 6:02 PM
            I have but I would feel really bad if the A.I. miss interpreted a phrasing
            to something 'obedient to my liege's horse'. Does anyone have experience
            with it? Is it fairly reliable or not?

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29 3:43 AM
              It's not horrible. One good test is to translate the result back
              to English and see how badly mangled it is. A story from the early days of
              computers has"out of sight, out of mind" go to Chinese and back resulting
              in "invisible idiot". On the other hand if the translation comes back
              acceptably you should be fine.

              Svoi Ivonov

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 29 5:38 PM
                Svoi Ivonov

                I gave it a try, it came out pretty good after a couple tweaks. I
                feel comfortable with it. Thanks for the tip.