Re: Card Weaving in Kievan Rus

  • Patches the gypsy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
      Tried posting this earlier but Yahoo was being stubborn about it.

      After digging in Nancy Spies Ecclesiastical Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance historical tabletweving book, and then hitting her website, http://weavershand.com/brocade.htm#R , I found these entries:

      Khvoschinskaya, Natalia. "New Finds of Medieval Textiles in the North of Novgorod Land." In Archaeological Textiles in Northern Europe (NESAT IV), edited by Lise Bender Jørgensen and Elisabeth Munksgård, 128-133. Copenhagen: Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, 1992. A brief mention of several eighth- to twelfth-century tabletwoven bands, one possibly a silk and gold brocaded band, from the Ladoga area north of Novgorod, Russia.

      Kostelniková, Marie. "Eine kurzgefasste Übersicht über die Textilforschung in Mähren (Tschechoslowakei).' In Textiles in Northern Archaeology (NESAT III), edited by Penelope Walton and John Peter Wild, 113-118. London: Archetype Publications, 1990. Includes three wooden tablets from early medieval Czechoslovakia.

      NESAT IV and III are hard to find, but you might be able to get them through ILL.

      The book itself also has more extensive references for Byzantium, which may or may not influence what you are looking for. There are footnote references to finds in Poland and Lihtuania, but no pictures.

      PAtches