Re: [sig] Card Weaving in Kievan Rus

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2012
      Anya,

      Answering this & the comment you left on my site:  there is a reference to fabric with a "diamond" or "rhomb" pattern brocaded into it in Kolchin.  See Sofya La Rus's translation here:http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html%c2%a0 it's towards the end of of Page 94.

      For the project you commented on from my website, I was just learning card weaving for the first time, so I used a very simple pattern that I felt was at least 'diamond'-like, given my limited skills.   I have not done any extended research into narrow weaving in Rus, but it's something I should look at.... hm....

      now with a new project,
      Sfandra

      ******************
      Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      http://sfandra.webs.com
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      ******************

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2012
        There are pictures of 3 narrow woven bands in "The Archaeology of Medieval
        Novgorod in Context" ed. Mark Brisbane, in the article on textile
        production. At least one of them looks tabletwoven.

        Marya Kargashina

        On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Anya,
        >
        > Answering this & the comment you left on my site: there is a reference to
        > fabric with a "diamond" or "rhomb" pattern brocaded into it in Kolchin.
        > See Sofya La Rus's translation here:
        > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html it's towards the
        > end of of Page 94.
        >
        > For the project you commented on from my website, I was just learning card
        > weaving for the first time, so I used a very simple pattern that I felt was
        > at least 'diamond'-like, given my limited skills. I have not done any
        > extended research into narrow weaving in Rus, but it's something I should
        > look at.... hm....
        >
        > now with a new project,
        > Sfandra
        >
        > ******************
        > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
        > http://sfandra.webs.com
        > Never 'pearl' your butt.
        > ******************
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
          Greetings from Sofya to Anya,

          On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know of card/tablet weaving examples from Kievan Rus or
          > nearby regions? I'd like to weave a belt for myself, but can't find a
          > source for reproducible patterns. I might just base a pattern on
          > embroidery or architectural motifs, but was really looking for
          > something more precise that I can site in documentation.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Lady Anya Sergeeva

          Examples are a little hard to find.

          Lithuanian, Estonian, Latvian and Karelian examples can be
          instructive. Norse, too.

          Searching in Russian can work: Тканье на дощечках is one term for
          card-weaving. You can add in археология (archeology) or древней руси
          (ancient Rus) to try to narrow things down further.
          http://fox-hand-made.ru/tkachestvo-na-doshhechkah/
          http://doris-zh.livejournal.com/2247.html
          http://my.mail.ru/community/pytipravi/6713531D95A64782.html
          http://svarga.3dn.ru/pasporta/pasport_volch.html
          http://ellana666.livejournal.com/33500.html

          There's a nice belt-weaving set-up shown here:
          http://ia-iv.mosoblonline.ru/interview/94.html

          http://www.narodko.ru/article/kroy/poaca_i_opoacki.htm
          http://slavyanskaya-kultura.ru/slavic/symbol/vozdeistvie-slavjanskogo-ornamenta-na-organizm-cheloveka.html
          http://zoroastrian.ru/node/1315
          http://old-chest.narod.ru/tkach.htm

          Hopefully those will whet your appetite!

          Sofya

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
          (__(|
          "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et alia."
          -^-^-`
        • Anya Stickney
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2012
            That you everybody for your help!

            Anya

            On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
            > Greetings from Sofya to Anya,
            >
            > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Does anyone know of card/tablet weaving examples from Kievan Rus or
            >> nearby regions? I'd like to weave a belt for myself, but can't find a
            >> source for reproducible patterns. I might just base a pattern on
            >> embroidery or architectural motifs, but was really looking for
            >> something more precise that I can site in documentation.
            >>
            >> Thanks!
            >> Lady Anya Sergeeva
            >
            > Examples are a little hard to find.
            >
            > Lithuanian, Estonian, Latvian and Karelian examples can be
            > instructive. Norse, too.
            >
            > Searching in Russian can work: Тканье на дощечках is one term for
            > card-weaving. You can add in археология (archeology) or древней руси
            > (ancient Rus) to try to narrow things down further.
            > http://fox-hand-made.ru/tkachestvo-na-doshhechkah/
            > http://doris-zh.livejournal.com/2247.html
            > http://my.mail.ru/community/pytipravi/6713531D95A64782.html
            > http://svarga.3dn.ru/pasporta/pasport_volch.html
            > http://ellana666.livejournal.com/33500.html
            >
            > There's a nice belt-weaving set-up shown here:
            > http://ia-iv.mosoblonline.ru/interview/94.html
            >
            > http://www.narodko.ru/article/kroy/poaca_i_opoacki.htm
            > http://slavyanskaya-kultura.ru/slavic/symbol/vozdeistvie-slavjanskogo-ornamenta-na-organizm-cheloveka.html
            > http://zoroastrian.ru/node/1315
            > http://old-chest.narod.ru/tkach.htm
            >
            > Hopefully those will whet your appetite!
            >
            > Sofya

            > ___
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            > {o,o}
            > "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
            > (__(|
            > "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et alia."
            > -^-^-`

          • Patches the gypsy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
              Tried posting this earlier but Yahoo was being stubborn about it.

              After digging in Nancy Spies Ecclesiastical Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance historical tabletweving book, and then hitting her website, http://weavershand.com/brocade.htm#R , I found these entries:

              Khvoschinskaya, Natalia. "New Finds of Medieval Textiles in the North of Novgorod Land." In Archaeological Textiles in Northern Europe (NESAT IV), edited by Lise Bender Jørgensen and Elisabeth Munksgård, 128-133. Copenhagen: Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, 1992. A brief mention of several eighth- to twelfth-century tabletwoven bands, one possibly a silk and gold brocaded band, from the Ladoga area north of Novgorod, Russia.

              Kostelniková, Marie. "Eine kurzgefasste Übersicht über die Textilforschung in Mähren (Tschechoslowakei).' In Textiles in Northern Archaeology (NESAT III), edited by Penelope Walton and John Peter Wild, 113-118. London: Archetype Publications, 1990. Includes three wooden tablets from early medieval Czechoslovakia.

              NESAT IV and III are hard to find, but you might be able to get them through ILL.

              The book itself also has more extensive references for Byzantium, which may or may not influence what you are looking for. There are footnote references to finds in Poland and Lihtuania, but no pictures.

              PAtches