Card Weaving in Kievan Rus

  • Anya Stickney
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2012
      Greetings to the list,

      Does anyone know of card/tablet weaving examples from Kievan Rus or
      nearby regions? I'd like to weave a belt for myself, but can't find a
      source for reproducible patterns. I might just base a pattern on
      embroidery or architectural motifs, but was really looking for
      something more precise that I can site in documentation.

      Thanks!
      Lady Anya Sergeeva
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2012
        Anya,

        Answering this & the comment you left on my site:  there is a reference to fabric with a "diamond" or "rhomb" pattern brocaded into it in Kolchin.  See Sofya La Rus's translation here:http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html%c2%a0 it's towards the end of of Page 94.

        For the project you commented on from my website, I was just learning card weaving for the first time, so I used a very simple pattern that I felt was at least 'diamond'-like, given my limited skills.   I have not done any extended research into narrow weaving in Rus, but it's something I should look at.... hm....

        now with a new project,
        Sfandra

        ******************
        Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        ******************

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2012
          There are pictures of 3 narrow woven bands in "The Archaeology of Medieval
          Novgorod in Context" ed. Mark Brisbane, in the article on textile
          production. At least one of them looks tabletwoven.

          Marya Kargashina

          On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Anya,
          >
          > Answering this & the comment you left on my site: there is a reference to
          > fabric with a "diamond" or "rhomb" pattern brocaded into it in Kolchin.
          > See Sofya La Rus's translation here:
          > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html it's towards the
          > end of of Page 94.
          >
          > For the project you commented on from my website, I was just learning card
          > weaving for the first time, so I used a very simple pattern that I felt was
          > at least 'diamond'-like, given my limited skills. I have not done any
          > extended research into narrow weaving in Rus, but it's something I should
          > look at.... hm....
          >
          > now with a new project,
          > Sfandra
          >
          > ******************
          > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
          > http://sfandra.webs.com
          > Never 'pearl' your butt.
          > ******************
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
            Greetings from Sofya to Anya,

            On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of card/tablet weaving examples from Kievan Rus or
            > nearby regions? I'd like to weave a belt for myself, but can't find a
            > source for reproducible patterns. I might just base a pattern on
            > embroidery or architectural motifs, but was really looking for
            > something more precise that I can site in documentation.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Lady Anya Sergeeva

            Examples are a little hard to find.

            Lithuanian, Estonian, Latvian and Karelian examples can be
            instructive. Norse, too.

            Searching in Russian can work: Тканье на дощечках is one term for
            card-weaving. You can add in археология (archeology) or древней руси
            (ancient Rus) to try to narrow things down further.
            http://fox-hand-made.ru/tkachestvo-na-doshhechkah/
            http://doris-zh.livejournal.com/2247.html
            http://my.mail.ru/community/pytipravi/6713531D95A64782.html
            http://svarga.3dn.ru/pasporta/pasport_volch.html
            http://ellana666.livejournal.com/33500.html

            There's a nice belt-weaving set-up shown here:
            http://ia-iv.mosoblonline.ru/interview/94.html

            http://www.narodko.ru/article/kroy/poaca_i_opoacki.htm
            http://slavyanskaya-kultura.ru/slavic/symbol/vozdeistvie-slavjanskogo-ornamenta-na-organizm-cheloveka.html
            http://zoroastrian.ru/node/1315
            http://old-chest.narod.ru/tkach.htm

            Hopefully those will whet your appetite!

            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
            (__(|
            "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et alia."
            -^-^-`
          • Anya Stickney
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 23, 2012
              That you everybody for your help!

              Anya

              On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
              > Greetings from Sofya to Anya,
              >
              > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anya Stickney <anyas5@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Does anyone know of card/tablet weaving examples from Kievan Rus or
              >> nearby regions? I'd like to weave a belt for myself, but can't find a
              >> source for reproducible patterns. I might just base a pattern on
              >> embroidery or architectural motifs, but was really looking for
              >> something more precise that I can site in documentation.
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >> Lady Anya Sergeeva
              >
              > Examples are a little hard to find.
              >
              > Lithuanian, Estonian, Latvian and Karelian examples can be
              > instructive. Norse, too.
              >
              > Searching in Russian can work: Тканье на дощечках is one term for
              > card-weaving. You can add in археология (archeology) or древней руси
              > (ancient Rus) to try to narrow things down further.
              > http://fox-hand-made.ru/tkachestvo-na-doshhechkah/
              > http://doris-zh.livejournal.com/2247.html
              > http://my.mail.ru/community/pytipravi/6713531D95A64782.html
              > http://svarga.3dn.ru/pasporta/pasport_volch.html
              > http://ellana666.livejournal.com/33500.html
              >
              > There's a nice belt-weaving set-up shown here:
              > http://ia-iv.mosoblonline.ru/interview/94.html
              >
              > http://www.narodko.ru/article/kroy/poaca_i_opoacki.htm
              > http://slavyanskaya-kultura.ru/slavic/symbol/vozdeistvie-slavjanskogo-ornamenta-na-organizm-cheloveka.html
              > http://zoroastrian.ru/node/1315
              > http://old-chest.narod.ru/tkach.htm
              >
              > Hopefully those will whet your appetite!
              >
              > Sofya

              > ___
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              > {o,o}
              > "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
              > (__(|
              > "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et alia."
              > -^-^-`

            • Patches the gypsy
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
                Tried posting this earlier but Yahoo was being stubborn about it.

                After digging in Nancy Spies Ecclesiastical Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance historical tabletweving book, and then hitting her website, http://weavershand.com/brocade.htm#R , I found these entries:

                Khvoschinskaya, Natalia. "New Finds of Medieval Textiles in the North of Novgorod Land." In Archaeological Textiles in Northern Europe (NESAT IV), edited by Lise Bender Jørgensen and Elisabeth Munksgård, 128-133. Copenhagen: Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, 1992. A brief mention of several eighth- to twelfth-century tabletwoven bands, one possibly a silk and gold brocaded band, from the Ladoga area north of Novgorod, Russia.

                Kostelniková, Marie. "Eine kurzgefasste Übersicht über die Textilforschung in Mähren (Tschechoslowakei).' In Textiles in Northern Archaeology (NESAT III), edited by Penelope Walton and John Peter Wild, 113-118. London: Archetype Publications, 1990. Includes three wooden tablets from early medieval Czechoslovakia.

                NESAT IV and III are hard to find, but you might be able to get them through ILL.

                The book itself also has more extensive references for Byzantium, which may or may not influence what you are looking for. There are footnote references to finds in Poland and Lihtuania, but no pictures.

                PAtches