Re: [sig] Sorting out Polish headgear

  • Patty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2012
      I don't know the Polish terms because I tend to look at things from the Lithuanian point of view. :-) But I too have been looking at this image and I pretty much agree with Cathy's assessment.

      I have no idea how that vaguely Elizabethan-style velvet cap is staying on her head. Quite honestly, she looks miserable under all that jeweled finery!

      Best wishes to you and your new little one, and I also wish you the best of luck in trying to recreate this historic gown. I would love to read about your progress, but I think you're going to be very busy!

      Regards,
      Patricia of Trakai

      P.S. I just Googled "podwika bramka" and got this Slovo article by Master Zygmunt: http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news41.html.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
        Can you re-post the link?
        For me it is broken.

        Kevin Ambrozijwski

        So I'm hoping to make this outfit before mid-September.

        http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/L/Lucas-The-Younger-Cranach/Barbara-Radziwill-(1520-51)-c.1553-56.html

        I'm trying to sort through the pieces. I think I get the cap on top, but below, how many pieces am I looking at? What are the shapes? Are these the podwika and the bramka? I'm having trouble understanding where one stops and the other begins.

        I realize I'm probably asking at the wrong time as everyone is off to Pennsic, but I probably won't get started for a week or two because I am about to have a baby at any minute!

        Thanks,

        Maudeleyn

      • maudeleyn@pobox.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
          Here's the link again- although you might have to cut and paste in the browser:

          http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/L/Lucas-The-Younger-Cranach/Barbara-Radziwill-(1520-51)-c.1553-56.html

          Thanks for the thoughts so far- and actually, the only reason I know any of the terms is due to Master Zygmunt. Normally, I stick to 14th c. England and France, so I'm doing a little travelling for this outfit!

          I think I'll spend some time draping fabric around my head this afternoon and see where it gets me.

          Maudeleyn

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, kevin purtrell <krpurtell@...> wrote:

          > Can you re-post the link?
          > For me it is broken.
          >
          > Kevin Ambrozijwski

        • S.P Maiorca
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
            On 7/30/2012 6:40 AM, kevin purtrell wrote:

            > Can you re-post the link?
            > For me it is broken.
            >
            > Kevin Ambrozijwski
            >
            > --- On Sun, 7/29/12, maudeleyn@...
            > <mailto:maudeleyn%40pobox.com> <maudeleyn@...
            > <mailto:maudeleyn%40pobox.com>> wrote:
            >
            > From: maudeleyn@... <mailto:maudeleyn%40pobox.com>
            > <maudeleyn@... <mailto:maudeleyn%40pobox.com>>
            > Subject: [sig] Sorting out Polish headgear
            > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 4:12 PM
            >

            > So I'm hoping to make this outfit before mid-September.
            >
            > http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/L/Lucas-The-Younger-Cranach/Barbara-Radziwill-(1520-51)-c.1553-56.html
            >
            > I'm trying to sort through the pieces. I think I get the cap on top,
            > but below, how many pieces am I looking at? What are the shapes? Are
            > these the podwika and the bramka? I'm having trouble understanding
            > where one stops and the other begins.
            >
            > I realize I'm probably asking at the wrong time as everyone is off to
            > Pennsic, but I probably won't get started for a week or two because I
            > am about to have a baby at any minute!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Maudeleyn

            hi,