Introduction and question

  • Kira
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10 10:16 PM
      I am Kira Baranova, from the Kingdom of An Tir. I am very excited to have joined this group and can see I have a LOT of reading to do. I chose a Russian persona to pay homage to my hometown in Alaska, and also because I love the clothing. I still have a lot to learn about the culture and to pick a more specific time period, but I think I am in the right place for a lot of that.

      My question - Is there a chance of obtaining Russian coins to use as "thank you" tokens? If so, where would I go?

      Thank you in advance for your help!

      Kira
    • Tatiana
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11 5:15 AM
        Greetings Kira and welcome to the group!

        Sadly, I am not sure where would you get the coins. I went to visit family last year and never even thought that they can be of interest to anybody, otherwise I would have brought a handful (:

        Tatiana Moskovskaia
        Kingdon of Northshield

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11 5:43 AM
          I know of  no source for replica coins, but I did find an inexpensive army insignia that's awfully close to Ivan IV's crest:
          http://www.stpetersburger.com/index.php/russian-army-insignias-double-headed-eagle.html

          You could look for anything w/ the double-headed eagle, or make up something of your own & learn to cast or stamp.  :-)   You could use bulk charms from a wholesaler (http://www.closeoutjewelryfindings.com/index.htm) or beads, or anything.  I'm currently using a metal stamping of a bird of paradise/firebird, but in the past I've given out various things, from fancy pocket mirrors (http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/home/home-accents/set-of-eight-rajasthani-sparkling-pocket-mirrors) to bottle openers! (the latter was at Pennsic.  Because hey, you always need a bottle-opener at Pennsic)  :-)

          -Sfandra

          ******************
          Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          http://sfandra.webs.com
          Never 'pearl' your butt.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11 12:16 PM
            I have a mold for casting pewter coins from when my husband and I were the
            local seated Baron and Baroness...it has our names on one side with Rurik's
            trident and the other side was the baronial arms but we can make a separate
            back for it now if we wanted.

            Pewter coins are very easy to make.

            Ianuk