Re: [sig] Re: Museum help

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
      On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Patches the gypsy <raelee@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me what why this site would be referenced as a Scythian resource (given that everything is written in Ukranian)?

      Could it be that there *used* to be a gallery here of Scythian objects
      that has since been removed, but it's still showing up in the search
      results ? (you could try searching the Wayback Machine at archive.org
      for older cached versions of this site)

      The Scythians had sites all over the Ukraine, and I see that the left
      nav bar has links to each of the various Ukrainian Oblasts, and to
      their regional museums and exhibitions....

      Ah, here we go. If you stick this into Google...

      site:museum.velizariy.kiev.ua Ó˦ÆÓØËÉÊ

      ... you get three hits, one of which is:

      http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/odesa/ant/index.html
      ïÄÅÓØËÉÊ ÁÒÈÅÏÌÏǦÞÎÉÊ ÍÕÚÅÊ áÎÔÉÞÎÁ ÄÏÂÁ ÔÁ Ó˦ÆÓØËÉÊ ÓÔÅÐ
      Odessa Museum of Archaeology Ancient era and Scythian steppe

      There you are.

      I note that the page you originally linked to has links to a gallery
      of Golden Horde objects in the Hermitage, and also the Sogdian finds
      out of Moshchevaya Balka -- both interests of mine. Thanks for the
      link !

      Kazimira

      > > http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/sp.html
    • Jeanne
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
        I forwarded this to one of my Ukrainian Dance parents who is bilingual and a history buff. She said this is not Scythian-it's not old enough. It is Baroque and Renaissance. It's mostly military stuff. Much of it is from various parts of Ukraine, but there is stuff from Italy, the Baltics, and other parts of Europe, too. Hope that helps!

      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2012
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimarijah" <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

          > I would love to see any translation done on the womeans outfit they show
          > Thanks Marija

          This page: http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/erm_kavkaz/index.html
          Looks to be entirely finds from the Moschevaya Balka, including female headwear. There are photos of information plaques with English summaries. It's all 8-9th century, and from the northern Caucasus.

          Unless I've misunderstood which outfit you're looking at?

          ~Asfridhr
        • Jeanne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2012
            http://steppes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=board19&action=print&thread=1225

            Not sure if this link has been posted yet or not, but it's a Hungarian site someone posted to their Facebook.  Thought some folks might find it  useful

            Juliana
            (Jeanne)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 26, 2012
              Thank you very much