Re: Museum help

  • panimarijah
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
      I would love to see any translation done on the womeans outfit they show
      Thanks Marija

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patches the gypsy" <raelee@...> wrote:

      > A friend of mine ran across this museum site in his quest for Scythian information. The problem is that it's all in Ukranian and we are having difficult as to why he would have been referred to this site (impressive and awesome as the artifacts shown are) for Scythian research.
      >
      > http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/sp.html
      >
      > Help please?
      >
      > Patches

    • Daniel Brizendine
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
        do you have google chrome they have an auto translating program

        *Zsigmond Szekely*
        *Kingdom of Calontir*
        *Barony of Three Rivers
        *
        Thor Odinson... you have betrayed the express command of your king. Through
        your arrogance and stupidity, you've opened these peaceful realms and
        innocent lives to the horror and desolation of war! You are unworthy of
        these realms, you're unworthy of your title, you are unworthy... of the
        love of those you have betrayed! I now take from you your power! In the
        name of my father and his father before me, I, Odin Allfather, cast you
        out!

        On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM, panimarijah <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I would love to see any translation done on the womeans outfit they show
        > Thanks Marija
        >

        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patches the gypsy" <raelee@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > A friend of mine ran across this museum site in his quest for Scythian
        > information. The problem is that it's all in Ukranian and we are having
        > difficult as to why he would have been referred to this site (impressive
        > and awesome as the artifacts shown are) for Scythian research.
        > >
        > > http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/sp.html
        > >
        > > Help please?
        > >
        > > Patches

      • Patches the gypsy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2012
          We've run it through translators, but the problem is that it won't translate a whole page at a time. It will only translate if we highlight, copy and paste each phrase. There are a LOT of phrases in this museum site and the ones we have found don't seem to reference anything Scythian about the objects. Unfortunately, whoever put together this website did not include the explanations that could be found on the card displays.

          Can anyone tell me what why this site would be referenced as a Scythian resource (given that everything is written in Ukranian)?

          PAtches

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patches the gypsy" <raelee@...> wrote:

          > A friend of mine ran across this museum site in his quest for Scythian information. The problem is that it's all in Ukranian and we are having difficult as to why he would have been referred to this site (impressive and awesome as the artifacts shown are) for Scythian research.
          >
          > http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/sp.html
          >
          > Help please?
          >
          > Patches

        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
            On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Patches the gypsy <raelee@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone tell me what why this site would be referenced as a Scythian resource (given that everything is written in Ukranian)?

            Could it be that there *used* to be a gallery here of Scythian objects
            that has since been removed, but it's still showing up in the search
            results ? (you could try searching the Wayback Machine at archive.org
            for older cached versions of this site)

            The Scythians had sites all over the Ukraine, and I see that the left
            nav bar has links to each of the various Ukrainian Oblasts, and to
            their regional museums and exhibitions....

            Ah, here we go. If you stick this into Google...

            site:museum.velizariy.kiev.ua Ó˦ÆÓØËÉÊ

            ... you get three hits, one of which is:

            http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/odesa/ant/index.html
            ïÄÅÓØËÉÊ ÁÒÈÅÏÌÏǦÞÎÉÊ ÍÕÚÅÊ áÎÔÉÞÎÁ ÄÏÂÁ ÔÁ Ó˦ÆÓØËÉÊ ÓÔÅÐ
            Odessa Museum of Archaeology Ancient era and Scythian steppe

            There you are.

            I note that the page you originally linked to has links to a gallery
            of Golden Horde objects in the Hermitage, and also the Sogdian finds
            out of Moshchevaya Balka -- both interests of mine. Thanks for the
            link !

            Kazimira

            > > http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/sp.html
          • Jeanne
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
              I forwarded this to one of my Ukrainian Dance parents who is bilingual and a history buff. She said this is not Scythian-it's not old enough. It is Baroque and Renaissance. It's mostly military stuff. Much of it is from various parts of Ukraine, but there is stuff from Italy, the Baltics, and other parts of Europe, too. Hope that helps!

            • Quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2012
                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "panimarijah" <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

                > I would love to see any translation done on the womeans outfit they show
                > Thanks Marija

                This page: http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/russia/erm_kavkaz/index.html
                Looks to be entirely finds from the Moschevaya Balka, including female headwear. There are photos of information plaques with English summaries. It's all 8-9th century, and from the northern Caucasus.

                Unless I've misunderstood which outfit you're looking at?

                ~Asfridhr
              • Jeanne
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 26 7:25 PM
                  http://steppes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=board19&action=print&thread=1225

                  Not sure if this link has been posted yet or not, but it's a Hungarian site someone posted to their Facebook.  Thought some folks might find it  useful

                  Juliana
                  (Jeanne)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 26 7:58 PM
                    Thank you very much