Re: Rus maiden headdress help

  • princesstinkerbell1972
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2012
      Thank you, Sofya and Sfandra, this is extremely helpful.

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Sofya to Elena,

      snip

      The Poliane had the three-bead temple rings, for example,
      > to decorate the headresses.

      I have some of these that I've reconstructed. Still perfecting my technique.

      > Here are some archeological finds and reconstructions based on them:

      snip

      visuals! yay! I'm finding that it's really difficult to find women depicted in period art at all, and those that are depicted, are all married women. (Feel free to correct me on this)

      > The reason my webpage is confusing is that different Russian sources
      > classify and discuss garments in different ways.

      Only to be expected. Every archeologist and historian who looks at the artifacts has their own theories.

      And my clothing webpages
      > are mostly a collection of notes trying to get all that information in one
      > place for easier (?) comparison of what the different sources say, not my
      > final judgement about what period Russians wore (which is constantly
      > evolving).

      I understand this, and I thank you for all the work you've put into your website to make that information available to the rest of us. It's sort of a "Here's what is out there. This is what we know right now. As new stuff is discovered, our ideas might change."

      But, it's still overwhelming to sift through it all. :)

      > The triangular braid piece is a kosnik or nakosnik.

      Thanks for that tidbit, as well.

      Part of the fun of this for me(besides the research and the designing and the construction and the wearing of it) is that I'm the only unmarried female Slavic persona in the Barony of Andelcrag. Once I've figured it all out, I'll actually have something to teach others about, something that they haven't done research on themselves. I like that. Newbie that I am, I can contribute to the spread of knowledge.

      Okay, enough from me for now. Going off to work on my new Russian hat.

      Elena
    • Owlharp@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2012
        Greetings from Fevronia!

        I was just wondering - has anyone done an English translation of the
        chapter that these wonderful drawings are taken from?

        Lady Sfandra, I hope you are feeling better soon!

        S uvazheniem,

        Mistress Fevronia Murometsa
        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fe38cd0e634a8c1b12st04vuc
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2012
          Greetings from Sofya to Frevronia!

          On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM, <Owlharp@...> wrote:

          > Greetings from Fevronia!
          >
          > I was just wondering - has anyone done an English translation of the
          > chapter that these wonderful drawings are taken from?

          I have my rough translation of the Kolchin clothing chapter on my website.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html

          Sofya

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          (__(|
          "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          -^-^-`
        • john Kowal
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2012
            Greetings All;
            My apologies.
            A couple ISG Members asked me about a source document on Keivan Rus naming. I have been crazy busy at work, but I have recently tried looking and looking and looking through my library and I can not seem to locate the pamphlet. I have no idea where it has gone? I may have lent it out and forgotten who it was too? Or it may be just lost in my house somewhere. The pamphlet was written and produced by the University of Manitoba. I will try and get down to the U of M Library to see if I can locate a copy and sign it out. But this will not happen before Pennsic 2nd War week. If I locate it sooner I will post here sooner.
            Regards,
            Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev

          • Owlharp@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2012
              Ah, prekrasno! I hadn't realized that. Thank you very much!

              Fevronia

              .