Polish Women's costume

  • maudeleyn@pobox.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2012
      I looking for a lot of guidance. I am needed an outfit for an elevation. I've been trying to find some information on Polish women's dress, but have gotten a little lost, since most of the sources seem to be of 18th and 19th c. redrawing.

      The 16th c. would be great, but I'm open to the 14th (my usual time period in England) or 15th c. I would really love something super fancy . I only have a couple of months, during some of which I will be birthing a baby- so I can't do tons of fitting to the very end.

      Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction and take me under their wing?

      Thanks

      Maudeleyn
    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2012
        <<snip>>
        > The 16th c. would be great, but I'm open to the 14th (my usual time period in England) or 15th c. I would really love something super fancy . I only have a couple of months, during some of which I will be birthing a baby- so I can't do tons of fitting to the very end.
        >
        > Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction and take me under their wing?
        <<snip>>

        I can point you to resources, but not sure if they're what you're after.

        14th century:
        Frescoes from the monastery of St. Jacob, Ląd, Wielkopolska (14th c.)
        http://qirt.gel.ulaval.ca/archives/qirt2008/papers/16_05_07.pdf
        (not the best photo, sorry, but you can see women on the lower left of the photo wearing cottes and ruffled veils.)

        16th century:
        Women from Gdansk/Danzig
        http://pearl.dreamwidth.org/214158.html

        Sarmatian Baroque: Men's and Women's Noble Dress in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, 1550-1600, by Zygmunt Nadratowski
        http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news41.html

        And these notes on Polish dress:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20081014222404/http://www.plcommonwealth.org/polishcostume2.doc

        Textiles:
        Janina Kamińska and Adam Nahlik "Études sur l'industrie textile du haut Moyen Âge en Pologne" Archaeologia Polona 3:1960 89-119
        http://www.iaepan.edu.pl/archaeologia-polona/article/21

        Footwear:
        Martyna Milewska "A method of recording late medieval footwear finds" Archaeologia Polona 19:1980 115-136
        http://www.iaepan.edu.pl/archaeologia-polona/article/284

        Hope some of it matches up with what you had in mind?

        ~Asfridhr