Hungarian Garb

  • norseceltbear
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
      I am curious if anyone has any resources for Hungarian garb and food. I would appreciate any help with that. Any written sources, patterns and such.

      Zsigmond Szekely
    • Elaine Manyoki
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
        If you go to eBay, type in the phrase hungarian costuming books, you will get several pages of photos of mostly traditional peasant costume.  However, in among all of that is a site called Ek Erzebet...they have a book of paper dolls that covers Hungarian garb from the time of the occupation right up to present day.  The costumes are good, and just because they are paper dolls doesn't mean you have to cut them out.  There are two or three other sources, one book that is out of print but findable is Historic Hungarian Costumes by Joseph Hallrigl, pub, 1939.  Also out there is a book on Finno-Ugric Folk Art, but here again, the costumes pictured are very good.  Folkware Pattern company has a decent pattern for the Herdsman's coat, the Szur.  I made one about twenty years ago.  It was very labor intensive, but well worth it.  It calls for an incredible amount of applique.  Hope these help...
        Katya

        ________________________________
        I am curious if anyone has any resources for Hungarian garb and food. I would appreciate any help with that. Any written sources, patterns and such.

        Zsigmond Szekely

      • John Staeck
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
          Kepes Chronica, aka the Hungarian Illuminated Chronicle, has some images that may also be of help.  Certainly they are not patterns, but for the period they can be quite good.

          Pax- Janos

[...]

        • melaniereid45
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
            I have The Practical Encyclopedia of East European Cooking, contributing editor Lesley Chamberlain, published by Hermes House 2002. It has a section on German, Austria, Hungary, and Czech Republic foods. The recipes are modern/traditional as some contain things like tomatoes and potatoes, but it might be a good place to start.