Re: Household name help - Help from a native Russian speaker

  • J
    Message 1 of 16 , May 18 6:23 PM
      Hello,
      I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

      "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

      As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

      Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)