Re: Household name help

  • iegrappling@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 15, 2012
      Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
      To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

      -Halbrust

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 16 , May 15, 2012
        Oziorny Dom
        "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

        Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

        Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
        To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

        -Halbrust

      • aldo
        Message 3 of 16 , May 15, 2012
          It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
          Aldo

          Message 4 of 16 , May 15, 2012
            I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 18, 2012
              Hello,
              I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

              "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

              As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

              Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)