Re: [sig] Household name help

  • Ladie Lada
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2012
      Based on modern grammar I would say дом на озере.
      It means on the bank/ берег and it's inferring the bank / берег by using preposition на.

      Using "у" vs. "на" is the difference between saying "next to" vs. "at. Or on".

      It is a really nice household name.

      Lada

      Sent from my iPhone

    • iegrappling@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 15, 2012
        Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
        To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

        -Halbrust

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 16 , May 15, 2012
          Oziorny Dom
          "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

          Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

          Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
          To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

          -Halbrust

        • aldo
          Message 4 of 16 , May 15, 2012
            It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
            Aldo

            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2012
              I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

              Message 6 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                Hello,
                I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

                "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

                As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

                Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)