Re: [sig] Household name help

  • Nenad Bađunov
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2012
      Dom u ozera means the house at the lake (directly) meaning the house
      beside the like or at the lake bank. It is nice name for the household.

      On 5/7/2012 17:46, Ladie Lada wrote:
      > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
      >
      > Lada
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo"<turanomar@...> wrote:
      >
      >> It means
      >>
      >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
      >>
      >> Aldo

    • Ladie Lada
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2012
        Based on modern grammar I would say дом на озере.
        It means on the bank/ берег and it's inferring the bank / берег by using preposition на.

        Using "у" vs. "на" is the difference between saying "next to" vs. "at. Or on".

        It is a really nice household name.

        Lada

        Sent from my iPhone

      • iegrappling@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 15, 2012
          Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
          To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

          -Halbrust

        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 16 , May 15, 2012
            Oziorny Dom
            "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

            Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

            Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
            To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

            -Halbrust

          • aldo
            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2012
              It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
              Aldo

              Message 6 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                  Hello,
                  I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

                  "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

                  As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

                  Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)