Re: [sig] Household name help

  • Nenad Bađunov
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2012
      Dom u ozera means the house at the lake (directly) meaning the house
      beside the like or at the lake bank. It is nice name for the household.

      On 5/7/2012 17:46, Ladie Lada wrote:
      > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
      >
      > Lada
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo"<turanomar@...> wrote:
      >
      >> It means
      >>
      >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
      >>
      >> Aldo

    • Anya Stickney
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2012
        I don't know what would have been used in period. But in modern
        Russian, "Dom u ozera" (дом у озера) means house near the lake or
        house of the lake. This is the version you probably want.
        As an aside, "дом на берегу озера" means house on the bank of the lake.

        Anya

        On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ladie Lada <ladie_lada@...> wrote:
        > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
        >
        > Lada
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:
        >
        >> It means
        >>
        >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
        >>
        >> Aldo

      • Ladie Lada
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2012
          Based on modern grammar I would say дом на озере.
          It means on the bank/ берег and it's inferring the bank / берег by using preposition на.

          Using "у" vs. "на" is the difference between saying "next to" vs. "at. Or on".

          It is a really nice household name.

          Lada

          Sent from my iPhone

        • iegrappling@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 15, 2012
            Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
            To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

            -Halbrust

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2012
              Oziorny Dom
              "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

              Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

              Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
              To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

              -Halbrust

            • aldo
              Message 6 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
                Aldo

                Message 7 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                  I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                    Hello,
                    I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

                    "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

                    As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

                    Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)