Re: [sig] Household name help

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2012
      It means

      HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.

      Aldo

      From: iegrappling@...
      Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 5:08 PM
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [sig] Household name help

      "Dom u ozera" or "Dom ozera" mean Lake house, The lake house, House of the lake, and/or House of the lake according to my e-translator.

      Are either of these of proper construction for a Rus household name within the SCA?

      -Halbrust

    • Ladie Lada
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2012
        I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)

        Lada

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

        > It means
        >
        > HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
        >
        > Aldo

      • Nenad Bađunov
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2012
          Dom u ozera means the house at the lake (directly) meaning the house
          beside the like or at the lake bank. It is nice name for the household.

          On 5/7/2012 17:46, Ladie Lada wrote:
          > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
          >
          > Lada
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo"<turanomar@...> wrote:
          >
          >> It means
          >>
          >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
          >>
          >> Aldo

        • Anya Stickney
          Message 4 of 16 , May 7, 2012
            I don't know what would have been used in period. But in modern
            Russian, "Dom u ozera" (дом у озера) means house near the lake or
            house of the lake. This is the version you probably want.
            As an aside, "дом на берегу озера" means house on the bank of the lake.

            Anya

            On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ladie Lada <ladie_lada@...> wrote:
            > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
            >
            > Lada
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:
            >
            >> It means
            >>
            >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
            >>
            >> Aldo

          • Ladie Lada
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7, 2012
              Based on modern grammar I would say дом на озере.
              It means on the bank/ берег and it's inferring the bank / берег by using preposition на.

              Using "у" vs. "на" is the difference between saying "next to" vs. "at. Or on".

              It is a really nice household name.

              Lada

              Sent from my iPhone

            • iegrappling@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
                To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

                -Halbrust

              • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                Message 7 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                  Oziorny Dom
                  "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

                  Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                    It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
                    Aldo

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                      I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                        Hello,
                        I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

                        "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

                        As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

                        Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)