Re: [sig] Re: SIG-related names, under new heraldic rules

  • Patty
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2012
      "Romany" = "gypsies" in Appendix A (Romania is grouped with Hungary there). I added Romany to the list because some people have asked about Romany stuff on this list over the years.

      Here's what Appendix A has to say about Romany:

      "Romany are known to have used two names: a private name used only in their community, and a vernacular use name, used in interactions with locals. We do not currently have evidence of the elements or structure of private names before 1600; without such evidence they cannot be registered. In general, forming a name appropriate for the desired region/language where a Romany persona is living (e.g., "A from X") follows period usage."

      Were there Romany in Eastern Europe during the Middle Ages, or were they more in southern Europe?

      Cheers,
      Patricia

      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2012
        They were there in later period (about 1400-1500s), but they were generally slaves. There may have been a handful of clans that kept their freedom by wandering around, but this has not been an accepted as a "confirmed" theory.

        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2012
          *facepalm*
          Yeah, maybe this year I can get around to registering my name, armory, household name, and badge....

          ---sheepishly (though there are no sheep in my armory)
          Sfandra

          ******************
          Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          http://sfandra.webs.com
          Never 'pearl' your butt.
          ******************

          ________________________________
[...]

          Finnish is listed under Scandinavian -- I know we don't really talk about Finland on this list, but it does border on the Baltic lands and northern Rus.

          You can also take a look at Appendix C (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs_final_draft.html#AppendixC), which basically tells you how to "mix and match." You can take name elements from different languages within the same group as long as the name elements are not more than 500 years apart. If you take name elements from two different language groups, the name elements have to be documented to within 300 years of each other. There are other allowances and whatnot, but have your local herald explain them to you if necessary.

          I think we already get that we can't register names like "Kazimir mac Corwin," but Appendix C will help us deal when we find one name element in our persona's language but can't find the other name element in the same language. And Appendix A gives us some basic information about the structures of names in a language.

          If you have a beef with anything in this document ... hey, I'm just the messenger. Tell the heraldic officials of your Kingdom.

          I'm still digesting these new rules myself, so I'm no expert in them yet. I just happened to skim the rules and noticed the words "Baltic" and "Slavic" and stuff like that. :-)

          Yours in service,
          Lady Patricia of Trakai
          (using the legal-name and lingua-Anglica allowances)

          Message 4 of 16 , May 7, 2012
            "Dom u ozera" or "Dom ozera" mean Lake house, The lake house, House of the lake, and/or House of the lake according to my e-translator.

            Are either of these of proper construction for a Rus household name within the SCA?

            -Halbrust

          • aldo
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7, 2012
              It means

              HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.

              Aldo

              "Dom u ozera" or "Dom ozera" mean Lake house, The lake house, House of the lake, and/or House of the lake according to my e-translator.

              Are either of these of proper construction for a Rus household name within the SCA?

              -Halbrust

            • Ladie Lada
              Message 6 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)

                Lada

                Sent from my iPhone

                On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                > It means
                >
                > HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
                >
                > Aldo

              • Nenad Bađunov
                Message 7 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                  Dom u ozera means the house at the lake (directly) meaning the house
                  beside the like or at the lake bank. It is nice name for the household.

                  On 5/7/2012 17:46, Ladie Lada wrote:
                  > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
                  >
                  > Lada
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo"<turanomar@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> It means
                  >>
                  >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
                  >>
                  >> Aldo

                • Anya Stickney
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                    I don't know what would have been used in period. But in modern
                    Russian, "Dom u ozera" (дом у озера) means house near the lake or
                    house of the lake. This is the version you probably want.
                    As an aside, "дом на берегу озера" means house on the bank of the lake.

                    Anya

                    On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ladie Lada <ladie_lada@...> wrote:
                    > I would not use Dom ozera because it literally means house in which the lake lives. I don't think that's what you are trying to convey :)
                    >
                    > Lada
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On May 7, 2012, at 11:22 AM, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> It means
                    >>
                    >> HOUSE ALONG THE LAKE BANKS.
                    >>
                    >> Aldo

                  • Ladie Lada
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                      Based on modern grammar I would say дом на озере.
                      It means on the bank/ берег and it's inferring the bank / берег by using preposition на.

                      Using "у" vs. "на" is the difference between saying "next to" vs. "at. Or on".

                      It is a really nice household name.

                      Lada

                      Sent from my iPhone

                    • iegrappling@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                        Thank you all for the wonderful help!!!
                        To a non-Russian speaker (as most are), Dom ozera has a better sound and look. Is Dom ozera grammatically correct, or does it need to be Dom u ozera?

                        -Halbrust

                      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                          Oziorny Dom
                          "Dom Ozera" is Lake's House.

                          Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:41 -0400 (EDT) от iegrappling@...:

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                            It sounds in Russian more like a person’s family name than a real location. DOM U OZERA is the real expression to be used.
                            Aldo

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 15, 2012
                              I would like to add following to this topic. DOM in Russian indicates a real big building and not a cottage or something like that. Therefore should this latter be the case, then I would call it DOMIK instead of DOM.

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                                Hello,
                                I teach Ukrainian dance mundanely and, although I don't speak any Russian or Ukrainian, I have some native Russian speakers (recent immigrants) in my group, so I spoke to one of my adult dancers on your behalf. I asked how best to say Lake House or House by the Lake, or any other suggestions she had that would make sense in Russian, for a household name or a family grouping name and this was her answer for you:

                                "Hi, Yes, those are direct translations from English. I personally wouldn't name my household like this though - in Russian it sounds too simplistic or general... I would say something like Ozyory, Ozyorie or Ozyerie. It would mean the same but sounds more poetic and musical :-) . Hope it helps :-) Tatiana"

                                As with Tatiana's statement, I hope this answer helps you with your naming! :)

                                Jeanne (SCA - Juliana)