Re: [sig] FWD: [SCA-HRLDS] Lithuanian Names Again

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2012
      Also, my apologies to the list for completely failing to trim that reply.
      >_<

      Kazimira

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
        <<snip>>
        "Fryderyk" as a Polish spelling, and one page from the Academy of St. Gabriel (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/walraven/polish/) lists "Fryderyk, Frydrych, Frydryk, Friderich, Friedrich" as Polish names derived from the German, Frankish or French.
        <<snip>>

        I can't really offer much more help than Patricia, sadly. All of the period texts I can find (so far) mentioning a Fryderyk as the modern, Polish form, are in Latin. So Fryderyk Jagiellon is Fridericus Jagellonidis, for example:
        http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/03486/CE9EE98615D21A63463730C4334F85890C55F65F.html

        And Fryderyk Getkant (Lithuanised as Frydrichas Gedkantas) is Fridericus Getkant
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fryderyk_Getkant

        It looks like the modern Lithuanian form is Frydrichas. The only thing remotely like Frydrichas, that I can find, is in a Czech manuscript from 1619:

        "Nasse Frydricha, z Božj Milosti Krále Cžeskeho, Falckraběte při Reynu, a Kurffirssta, rc. Otewřené Rosepsánj"
        This is apparently Frederick V, Elector Palatine, King of Bohemia. If Wikipedia is accurate, then his name today is usually spelled "Fridrich".
        http://www.manuscriptorium.com/apps/main/en/index.php?request=request_document&docId=set20080520_75_38
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_V,_Elector_Palatine

        <<snip>>
        > "Venslauskas" seems to be a plausible Lithuanian surname, and maybe "Vinslauskas" too. However, I have no idea whether those surnames existed before 1600. Searches on these names tend to produce links to LinkedIn, Facebook, Ancestry.com and site of that ilk. Again, it would really help to know where the submitter got this name in the first place.
        <<snip>>

        I asked this on Oscar, but it sounds almost like a corrupted form of a patronymic form of Wenceslaus? The link Patricia gave says that the Polish form is Wacław, which we can find in Latin-language Polish documents, such as "Venceslao Lescinio"/"Wacław Leszczyński"

        Source: http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/09404/0301478B9EE5AD4AC93C9A685BF542B307486926.html?start=6&query=Wac%C5%82aw&qf=YEAR:1597&qf=YEAR:1594
        and
        http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/09404/9ADC1B459C295198A0BB45BC473AE1D7F4AB373D.html?start=7&query=Wac%C5%82aw&qf=YEAR:1597&qf=YEAR:1594

        Looking at "The Latinization of names in the Middle Ages" (http://nicolaa5.tripod.com/articles/latin.html) a Polish name in Latin could be Fridericus Venceslaus? I honestly am not sure how correct that is. But it seems close to what the submitter wants...

        Not sure how useful any of that is, I'm not very good at Polish names!

        ~Asfridhr
      • T Duran
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2012
          <snip>

          > Not sure how useful any of that is, I'm not very good at Polish names!

          Thanks, I'll pass it on. In the meantime there was a little bit of
          further information provided on SCAHRLDS:

          > Bahlow-Deutschesnamenlexikan gives Friedrich as a give name in German.
          > Wickenden, 3rd ed., p406 s.n. Vyshelav, gives Vintzlaus, 1234 as a masculine > given name. It should be possible to form a patronymic that comes near to
          > the desired sound. Please help me out here.

          > Lacking any sources for documenting Lithuanian names, the submitter is
          > requesting that the college help form a suitable name in
          > German/Polish/Russian/Lithuanian. Submitter allows all changes necessary
          > to do this.

          Cheers,

          Kazimira