White clothing

  • halbrust_of_caid
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2012
      Hi everyone. First post here, not sure why I hadn't joined earlier.

      I've found a few depictions of 10th century Rus/Slav men wearing all white. Is there any evidence of this? Or did a modern artist have an idea and then others copied the idea?

      If there is historic precedence for it… Is there any significance to it? My wife suggested it might be religious or ceremonial clothing.

      -Halbrust
    • Liudmila
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2012
        This is usually when they are in their underwear due to their penitent status or as they are being executed. However, white in the outer wear could also happen at wedding and such.

        Liudmila

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:20 PM, "halbrust_of_caid" <iegrappling@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. First post here, not sure why I hadn't joined earlier.
        >
        > I've found a few depictions of 10th century Rus/Slav men wearing all white. Is there any evidence of this? Or did a modern artist have an idea and then others copied the idea?
        >
        > If there is historic precedence for it� Is there any significance to it? My wife suggested it might be religious or ceremonial clothing.
        >
        > -Halbrust

      • rickjs
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2012
          I have heard/read that the charisteritic 'look ' of a slavic military hord was white upper-outerwear. The arguments/evidence behind that, I don't know.
          -Rick