Ukranian Names

  • cspackard@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2012
      Greetings,
      I'm new here and relatively new to the SCA. I'm trying to develop a 16th century Ukrainian persona, specifically Western Ukraine - Hutsul - Carpathian Mountains. I'm really having trouble fining any Ukrainian last names / bynames from this time. Does anyone have any sources? Sadly I don't speak or read Ukrainian.

      While this region is near and was occupied by the Polish and Hungarian empires, they definitely never integrated with the Polish or Hungarians - and had active revolts against them throughout their history. So I don't think these names would be appropriate, should I use Kievan Rus names?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks,
      Oleksdandr
    • John Kowal
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2012
        Ola from Brazil;

        I have a pamphlet of sourced Ukrainian Names from a University of Manitoba that I used to source my name. If You can until I return from vacation Feb 27th I could photo copy it and mail it down to You. Just send me Your snail mail address.
        YIS
        Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev