Re: SCA Lithuanian Name

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2012
      We might be in luck! (Although I've only been able to look at 16-17th c. documents.)

      Historical Documents of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/indexen.en.htm), part of the website of the National Library of Lithuania has a few documents online that might help!

      LNMMB F101-41 from 1590
      http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/istoriniailietdok_5en.en.htm
      Mkolay Sakietla kuchmistr wlasną ręką (Mikolaj Sakietla, eating-house keeper)
      http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/F101-41/images/F101-41a.jpg for a scan of the document. See the third line from the bottom in Polish. I swear it says Mikolay Narnbewicz instead of Mkolay Sakietla, but I know nothing of 16th century orthography. Can anyone help?

      LNMMB F101-50 from 1618
      http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/istoriniailietdok_6en.en.htm
      Krystyna Mikolaiowna (Krystyna Mikołajowna)

      LNMMB F101-57 from 1631 seems to have the un-standardised form:
      http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/istoriniailietdok_7en.en.htm

      Mikołaÿ Abramowicz ręką swą (ie. Mikołaj Abramowicz, son of the palatine of Smolensk).

      So at least in Polish documents, produced in Lithuania, the name Mikolai or Mikolay might be used?

      I'll keep looking for any forms of Philip/Pilyp/Filip I can find.

      ~Asfridhr
    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2012
        <<snip>>
        http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/F101-41/images/F101-41a.jpg for a scan of the document. See the third line from the bottom in Polish. I swear it says Mikolay Narnbewicz instead of Mkolay Sakietla, but I know nothing of 16th century orthography. Can anyone help?
        <<snip>>

        Oops, I'm pretty sure the 'b' is really an eszett or ß to stans for sz... and the second n is probably a u... so Naruszewicz?

        ~Asfridhr, can't read.
      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
          Weirdly enough, I found this webpage:

          1528 Census of Troops of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania
          http://kdkv.narod.ru/1528-VKL/index.htm

          And under 'F'/Ô
          http://kdkv.narod.ru/1528-VKL/1528-21f.htm

          There is a "Filipovich, Mikolay"/"Ôèëèïîâè÷ Ìèêîëàé" listed.

          If I've understood things correctly, then this is based on the Lithuanian Metrica and so is written in Ruthenian, which may be why it looks like such a Slavic name.

          But if more experienced people than I could have a look at the webpages, it'd be much appreciated!

          Asfridhr