Re: [sig] What book is this from?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
      Lucky!  I had to buy it.  Not that I'm really complaining, but it worked out to be a $100+ for me.

      And my husband reminds me that those images weren't scanned - I had to use my camera.  The book is BIG, it didn't fit on the scanner....

      Volume 1 is pre-history to the Kievan era.  Vol 2 is Appanage (mongol rule) to Modern era.  However, remember this book is of UKRAINIAN clothing -- post-Appanage, the area we now know as the Ukraine became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (The Largest Medieval Country You've Never Heard Of), and so Volume 2 will not have spiffy Muscovite clothing in it.   Renaissance fashions were much more common in 15th C Ukraine than they were in 15th C Moscow.  If you're interested in later Ukrainian clothing, Lady Patricia has some awesome books on Lithuania that might help.

      --Sfandra

      ******************
      Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      http://sfandra.webs.com
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      ******************

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
        But if you're looking for Kievan Rus clothing, it's perfect!

        Skaia
        --
        it is because you have learned to do evil
        that you cannot now unlearn to do well

        On 10 January 2012 07:13, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

        > Lucky!  I had to buy it.  Not that I'm really complaining, but it worked out to be a $100+ for me.
        >
        > And my husband reminds me that those images weren't scanned - I had to use my camera.  The book is BIG, it didn't fit on the scanner....
        >
        > Volume 1 is pre-history to the Kievan era.  Vol 2 is Appanage (mongol rule) to Modern era.  However, remember this book is of UKRAINIAN clothing -- post-Appanage, the area we now know as the Ukraine became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (The Largest Medieval Country You've Never Heard Of), and so Volume 2 will not have spiffy Muscovite clothing in it.   Renaissance fashions were much more common in 15th C Ukraine than they were in 15th C Moscow.  If you're interested in later Ukrainian clothing, Lady Patricia has some awesome books on Lithuania that might help.
        >

        > --Sfandra
        >
        > ******************
        > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
        > http://sfandra.webs.com
      • Anya Stickney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
          Excellent! Kievan Rus garb is exactly what I'm looking for.

          In case anyone is interested, I found a picasa site with photos from this
          book.
          https://picasaweb.google.com/100706551175991263168/UkrainianChronicleOfClothing?gsessionid=pFtbXnnuKTN-bykPjMd6cA#

          -Anya