What book is this from?

  • Anya Stickney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
      Does anyone recognize the books that images 5 and 10 came from
      (http://www.geocities.ws/hausvdk/kievan.html)? I would love to get
      these books, but there is no bibliography on the site.

      Thanks,
      Anya Sergeeva
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
        WAAAH!  FLASHBACKS!!!  OK, that's my old old OLD website that I put up for Haus VDK several years ago, for a russian themed winter reign.

        Images 5, 7, and 10 are all from "Ukrainian Chronicle of Clothing" Vol 1 by Zinaida Vasina.  Try rare book sellers or Ebay.

        Wow... back when my scanner worked.... those were the days....

        --Sfandra

        ******************
        Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        ******************

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
          Thanks! It looks like the U of A library has it on inter-library loan.

          -Anya

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
            Lucky!  I had to buy it.  Not that I'm really complaining, but it worked out to be a $100+ for me.

            And my husband reminds me that those images weren't scanned - I had to use my camera.  The book is BIG, it didn't fit on the scanner....

            Volume 1 is pre-history to the Kievan era.  Vol 2 is Appanage (mongol rule) to Modern era.  However, remember this book is of UKRAINIAN clothing -- post-Appanage, the area we now know as the Ukraine became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (The Largest Medieval Country You've Never Heard Of), and so Volume 2 will not have spiffy Muscovite clothing in it.   Renaissance fashions were much more common in 15th C Ukraine than they were in 15th C Moscow.  If you're interested in later Ukrainian clothing, Lady Patricia has some awesome books on Lithuania that might help.

            --Sfandra

            ******************
            Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            http://sfandra.webs.com
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
            ******************

            ________________________________
            Thanks! It looks like the U of A library has it on inter-library loan.

            -Anya

            On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > WAAAH!  FLASHBACKS!!!  OK, that's my old old OLD website that I put up for
            > Haus VDK several years ago, for a russian themed winter reign.
            >
            > Images 5, 7, and 10 are all from "Ukrainian Chronicle of Clothing" Vol
            > 1 by Zinaida Vasina.  Try rare book sellers or Ebay.
            >
            > Wow... back when my scanner worked.... those were the days....
            >
            > --Sfandra
            >
            > ******************
            > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
            > http://sfandra.webs.com
            > Never 'pearl' your butt.
            > ******************
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Amy C Wetzel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
              But if you're looking for Kievan Rus clothing, it's perfect!

              Skaia
              --
              it is because you have learned to do evil
              that you cannot now unlearn to do well

              On 10 January 2012 07:13, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

              > Lucky!  I had to buy it.  Not that I'm really complaining, but it worked out to be a $100+ for me.
              >
              > And my husband reminds me that those images weren't scanned - I had to use my camera.  The book is BIG, it didn't fit on the scanner....
              >
              > Volume 1 is pre-history to the Kievan era.  Vol 2 is Appanage (mongol rule) to Modern era.  However, remember this book is of UKRAINIAN clothing -- post-Appanage, the area we now know as the Ukraine became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (The Largest Medieval Country You've Never Heard Of), and so Volume 2 will not have spiffy Muscovite clothing in it.   Renaissance fashions were much more common in 15th C Ukraine than they were in 15th C Moscow.  If you're interested in later Ukrainian clothing, Lady Patricia has some awesome books on Lithuania that might help.
              >

              > --Sfandra
              >
              > ******************
              > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
              > http://sfandra.webs.com
            • Anya Stickney
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
                Excellent! Kievan Rus garb is exactly what I'm looking for.

                In case anyone is interested, I found a picasa site with photos from this
                book.
                https://picasaweb.google.com/100706551175991263168/UkrainianChronicleOfClothing?gsessionid=pFtbXnnuKTN-bykPjMd6cA#

                -Anya