Russian Ornament Sourcebook versus Medieval Russian Ornament in full Color

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2012
      I just ordered *The Russian Ornament Sourcebook*, newly published by Vivays
      Publishing. I had just acquired their *Russian Elegance:City and Country
      Fashion* and was knocked out by it, so I was excited to receive it.

      The book itself is beautiful. Its a large hardback with great paper
      quality. However, it is important to note that it is primarily a
      republication of Victor Butovski's 1870 book. The color plates are
      identical to the content already available in *Medieval Russian Ornament in
      Full Color* published by Dover. *The Russian Ornament Sourcebook* does have
      an interesting introduction by Mary Orlova (translated into 4 languages)
      that puts Byzantine illumination into context and discusses some of its
      variety and the different types of ornament depending on the function of
      the illumination. It briefly discusses the influences on Russian
      illumination ornament and is a well written and informative article. In
      addition to the color plates, there are also 100 pages of large templates
      of individual ornaments to trace or copy. They would most certainly be
      useful for making SCA scrolls.

      The Dover book list price is $21.95, the Vivay's list price is $39.95. If
      you already own *Medieval Russian Ornament in Full Color*, I really doubt
      you would want to buy *The Russian Ornament Sourcebook*. If you don't
      already own the Dover, the bonus of having a nice hardback, a little more
      context, and some traceables might be nice, but i don't know if its worth
      almost twice the price.

      On the other hand, if you are interested in later period clothing, I cannot
      recommend *Russian Elegance* enough with its copious color photographs on
      every page. I'm also very interested in *Icons:masterpieces of Russian
      art*also put out by Vivay.

      Hope that helps and no one else has to waste their money purchasing
      information they already own.

      Ever to your service,
      Dvoryanka Praksedys Turova doch'