name make-up

  • tofaeiriksdottir
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
      Hi all,
      How would this name be written out ? I am going for about late 12th/early 13th century...Aleksandrovna, daughter of Volodislav Dragomir, would it just be Aleksandrovna Dragomir doch? Do I have to add his name or would that name mean daughter of Aleksandr Dragomir? This is more confusing than other cultures I have done before...

      YIS,
      Tofa
    • goldschp tds.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
        What would be your given name? The SCA requires that you have a given
        name, even if the name you are suggesting (all bynames) would have been
        quite period.

        -- Paul

        On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM, tofaeiriksdottir <
        madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all,
        > How would this name be written out ? I am going for about late 12th/early
        > 13th century...Aleksandrovna, daughter of Volodislav Dragomir, would it
        > just be Aleksandrovna Dragomir doch? Do I have to add his name or would
        > that name mean daughter of Aleksandr Dragomir? This is more confusing than
        > other cultures I have done before...
        >
        > YIS,
        > Tofa

      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
          What I would like as a given name is either Oleksandra or Aleksandra, daughter of   Volodislav Dragomir , the other names I gave are just something I saw that didn't seem too hard to remember. How would that be written out?

          Tofa

        • goldschp tds.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
            Ok, I was thrown off by that Aleksandrovna you mentioned since it is a
            modern patronymic. Oleksandra or Aleksandra are fine. How about
            Oleksandra Volodislavova doch' Dragomirova?

            Writing it out how? In period Rus script? Or just in Latin letters?

            Paul
            On Jan 8, 2012 3:09 PM, "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...>
            wrote:

            > **
            >

            > What I would like as a given name is either Oleksandra or Aleksandra,
            > daughter of Volodislav Dragomir , the other names I gave are just
            > something I saw that didn't seem too hard to remember. How would that be
            > written out?
            >
            > Tofa

          • tofaeiriksdottir
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
              Thanks, I thought I read on the St. Gabe's page that it was modern (drovna)..I should have said how would you say it instead of written out, I just wanted to know how to combine it all...which you did for me...now to check the heraldry page to see if anyone has anything like it..

              Tofa

              "goldschp tds.net" <goldschp@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I was thrown off by that Aleksandrovna you mentioned since it is a
              > modern patronymic. Oleksandra or Aleksandra are fine. How about
              > Oleksandra Volodislavova doch' Dragomirova?
              >
              > Writing it out how? In period Rus script? Or just in Latin letters?
              >
              > Paul
              > On Jan 8, 2012 3:09 PM, "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > What I would like as a given name is either Oleksandra or Aleksandra,
              > > daughter of Volodislav Dragomir , the other names I gave are just
              > > something I saw that didn't seem too hard to remember. How would that be
              > > written out?
              > >
              > > Tofa

            • Anya Stickney
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
                I'm not familiar with period naming schemes, but in modern Russian, it
                would be Oleksandra Volodislavovna Dragomirova (notice the extra 'n'
                in the middle name). This indicates that your first name is
                Oleksandra, and you are the daughter of Volodislav, whose last name is
                Dragomirov. There is no need for the 'doch' because that is indicated
                by your middle name.

                -Anya