Re: [sig] Intro and a name question

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2011
      Greetings from Sofya,

      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>wrote:

      > if you were looking for the
      > name in my Dictionary of Period Russian Names, you would find it
      > spelled Alena because I drop the umlaut.

      This is why I dislike the Library of Congress transliteration system.

      > You are welcome to spell it
      > Alyona.

      That would be using the Revised English transliteration system. You may
      want to state that if/when you register your name.

      > It might be related to Yelena (which I spell "Elena") but
      > I'm not sure about Olena. Anyway, it's period and we can date it
      > positively.

      Given all the Oleksandr/Aleksandr-type names, it's possible that Alena is
      related to Olena. Or not. :-)

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser