Intro and a name question

  • Ellen Dimiduk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2011
      Hello all,

      I'm new to the group and also new to the SCA ... I'm not even officially a member yet, but hopefully that will change soon. I am leaning towards a Russian persona as I have studied the language and spent some time there when I was in high school. I'm uncertain about my name though. I would like to use the name Alyona, but I'm not sure if it's period or not. It does not appear in the medieval Russian name-lists but I'm not sure if it would have shown up in official writings if it was considered just a nickname for Yelena or Olena. The earliest reference I can find of the name is Alyona Arzamasskaya who lived in the 17th century (and there is the fairy tale of Alyonushka, but I don't know when that dates from).

      Thanks for your help!
      Ellen
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2011
        Greeting Ellen!

        Welcome to the Group. Just digging myself out from the holidays, so
        didn't get a chance to respond until now.

        The "yo" in Alyona is actually an "e" with umlauts. In modern
        Russian, it has that "yo" sound. But if you were looking for the
        name in my Dictionary of Period Russian Names, you would find it
        spelled Alena because I drop the umlaut. It is dated to the year
        1595 on page 5 of the third edition. You are welcome to spell it
        Alyona. It might be related to Yelena (which I spell "Elena") but
        I'm not sure about Olena. Anyway, it's period and we can date it positively.

        Again, welcome!

        -- Paul Wickenden of Thanet

        At 01:42 AM 12/25/2011, you wrote:
        >Hello all,
        >
        >I'm new to the group and also new to the SCA ... I'm not even
        >officially a member yet, but hopefully that will change soon. I am
        >leaning towards a Russian persona as I have studied the language and
        >spent some time there when I was in high school. I'm uncertain about
        >my name though. I would like to use the name Alyona, but I'm not
        >sure if it's period or not. It does not appear in the medieval
        >Russian name-lists but I'm not sure if it would have shown up in
        >official writings if it was considered just a nickname for Yelena or
        >Olena. The earliest reference I can find of the name is Alyona
        >Arzamasskaya who lived in the 17th century (and there is the fairy
        >tale of Alyonushka, but I don't know when that dates from).
        >
        >Thanks for your help!
        >Ellen
      • Ellen Dimiduk
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2011
          Thank you! In modern Russian at least I know that Alyona is often a nickname for Yelena. It was a modern name-history page that suggested it was related to Olena as well, but it wasn't actually documented and I'm not even sure I was reading it correctly--my Russian is pretty rusty. I am glad to hear I can use the name.

          I think I had better spell it with the "yo" if I have any hope of English-speaking people pronouncing it that way :-)

          --Ellen

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

          > Greeting Ellen!
          >
          > Welcome to the Group. Just digging myself out from the holidays, so
          > didn't get a chance to respond until now.
          >
          > The "yo" in Alyona is actually an "e" with umlauts. In modern
          > Russian, it has that "yo" sound. But if you were looking for the
          > name in my Dictionary of Period Russian Names, you would find it
          > spelled Alena because I drop the umlaut. It is dated to the year
          > 1595 on page 5 of the third edition. You are welcome to spell it
          > Alyona. It might be related to Yelena (which I spell "Elena") but
          > I'm not sure about Olena. Anyway, it's period and we can date it positively.
          >
          > Again, welcome!
          >
          > -- Paul Wickenden of Thanet
        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2011
            Greetings from Sofya,

            On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>wrote:

            > if you were looking for the
            > name in my Dictionary of Period Russian Names, you would find it
            > spelled Alena because I drop the umlaut.

            This is why I dislike the Library of Congress transliteration system.

            > You are welcome to spell it
            > Alyona.

            That would be using the Revised English transliteration system. You may
            want to state that if/when you register your name.

            > It might be related to Yelena (which I spell "Elena") but
            > I'm not sure about Olena. Anyway, it's period and we can date it
            > positively.

            Given all the Oleksandr/Aleksandr-type names, it's possible that Alena is
            related to Olena. Or not. :-)

            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser