Re: [sig] Are laquer boxes period?

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
      Greetings from Sofya to Anya!

      On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM, anyastickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

      > I've been lurking in the group for a while, but now have a question that I
      > can't seem to find an answer to.
      >
      > Are russian laquer boxes period in the SCA (i.e. pre-17th century)? In my
      > archeology books, I've only been able to find evidence of wooden/birch
      > boxes painted with egg tempera. But no laquer boxes. Has anyone ever seen
      > evidence of something even similar to laquer boxes?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Anya

      I've never seen any evidence in period, either. And according to this
      webpage - http://www.russianlacquerart.com/ - the technique is only about
      200 years old.

      There is more information here:
      http://www.russia-ic.com/culture_art/visual_arts/965/

      This information agrees with the development of lacquer in Europe in
      imitation of East Asian items.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanning

      Interestingly, some of the Russian lacquer boxes are painted with oils, but
      other are painted with egg tempera just like icons, and the industry came
      out of the icon-making industry. So the new lacquer boxes were
      probably descended to some extent from painted wooden items such as those
      documented by archeologists.

      Khokhloma ware and matroshka dolls aren't period either. :-(

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      (__(|
      "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      -^-^-`
    • Tatiana
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
        However, as far as I know, there are two forms of Russian art that are period, Mezen painting and Gzhel.
        Gzel is somewhat questionable, but Mezen is definitely period. Please Google for more info, as I still can't get my files organized after the move.

        Hope this helps,

        Tatiana Moskovskaia
      • Anya Stickney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
          I have seen this, but never knew what the style was called. Thanks!

          -Anya

          On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Tatiana <littlegreensardine@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > However, as far as I know, there are two forms of Russian art that are
          > period, Mezen painting and Gzhel.
          > Gzel is somewhat questionable, but Mezen is definitely period. Please
          > Google for more info, as I still can't get my files organized after the
          > move.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Tatiana Moskovskaia

        • Tatiana
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
            You are welcome,

            Mezen art is beautiful in it's simplicity and easily recreated in embroidery and such.

            Tatiana Moskovskaia