Re: [sig] Are laquer boxes period?

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
      On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM, anyastickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

      > Are russian laquer boxes period in the SCA (i.e. pre-17th century)? In my archeology books, I've only been able to find evidence of wooden/birch boxes painted with egg tempera. But no laquer boxes. Has anyone ever seen evidence of something even similar to laquer boxes?

      Hi Anya

      The Internet seems to think the modern Russian painted papier mache
      boxes are the post-period child of German snuff-boxes and Russian
      icon-painters:

      http://www.russianamericancompany.com/info/russianlacquerboxes.htm
      http://www.russianlacquerboxes.org/history.html

      I can tell you that painted and carved laquer boxes have been a going
      concern in the East since BC, and that some of what was popular in the
      13thC would have come west with the Golden Horde, and gotten into
      Russia that way. I can document carved and painted laquer eating ware
      and traveling chests in Central Asia in the Middle Ages. They
      wouldn't have been anything like the modern ones painted with fairy
      tale scenes, though. I'll see if I can turn up anything more
      concrete, but I think looking for lacquer ware associated with the
      Golden Horde is probably your best bet.

      HTH

      Kazimira
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
        Greetings from Sofya to Anya!

        On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM, anyastickney <anyas5@...> wrote:

        > I've been lurking in the group for a while, but now have a question that I
        > can't seem to find an answer to.
        >
        > Are russian laquer boxes period in the SCA (i.e. pre-17th century)? In my
        > archeology books, I've only been able to find evidence of wooden/birch
        > boxes painted with egg tempera. But no laquer boxes. Has anyone ever seen
        > evidence of something even similar to laquer boxes?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Anya

        I've never seen any evidence in period, either. And according to this
        webpage - http://www.russianlacquerart.com/ - the technique is only about
        200 years old.

        There is more information here:
        http://www.russia-ic.com/culture_art/visual_arts/965/

        This information agrees with the development of lacquer in Europe in
        imitation of East Asian items.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanning

        Interestingly, some of the Russian lacquer boxes are painted with oils, but
        other are painted with egg tempera just like icons, and the industry came
        out of the icon-making industry. So the new lacquer boxes were
        probably descended to some extent from painted wooden items such as those
        documented by archeologists.

        Khokhloma ware and matroshka dolls aren't period either. :-(

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
      • Tatiana
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
          However, as far as I know, there are two forms of Russian art that are period, Mezen painting and Gzhel.
          Gzel is somewhat questionable, but Mezen is definitely period. Please Google for more info, as I still can't get my files organized after the move.

          Hope this helps,

          Tatiana Moskovskaia
        • Anya Stickney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
            I have seen this, but never knew what the style was called. Thanks!

            -Anya

            On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Tatiana <littlegreensardine@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > However, as far as I know, there are two forms of Russian art that are
            > period, Mezen painting and Gzhel.
            > Gzel is somewhat questionable, but Mezen is definitely period. Please
            > Google for more info, as I still can't get my files organized after the
            > move.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Tatiana Moskovskaia

          • Tatiana
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2012
              You are welcome,

              Mezen art is beautiful in it's simplicity and easily recreated in embroidery and such.

              Tatiana Moskovskaia