Re: [sig] icons was tents

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
      Greetings from Sofya,

      All the research I've done over the years has turned up very little
      specific information about Russian tents. Russians don't have the
      extensive secular illuminations that we have in the West to document tents.

      That being said, there are multiple 16th century Russian manuscripts
      showing tents - all of the round-type.
      See pages 14, 16, and 73 of the life of Alexander Nevsky
      http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/nevskii/nevskii.html

      Several are also in the Litsevoy Letopisny Svod.
      http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/index.html
      esp.
      http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/troy.html
      and
      http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/16-1.html

      And there's one in the Radzivill Chronicle showing a more-or-less white
      tent with a cross (beautiful corner?) and x-chair:
      http://nesvizh-zapovednik.by/new-35-0-ru.html

      But I suspect that other basic medieval tent styles such as wedge tents
      would be perfectly acceptible, since the Russian versions of the round
      tents match illustrations of Western European tents of the same type
      very well and the Russian manuscripts aren't showing lower-rank tents or
      complete camps.

      And knowing the Turkic influence throughout Russian history, I've wondered
      if tents like this could have been used:
      http://www.greydragon.org/trips/Oct-D&E/index5.html *

      I have also wondered if yurts may have been used by Russians, at least
      during the time of the Mongol rule. They definitely used them when they
      were staying with the Mongols. But I doubt they used them in Russia
      otherwise - moist mossy soil and felt tents seem like a bad combination.

      On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM, S. P. Maiorca
      <s.patrick.maiorca@...>wrote:

      > I was wondering how reliable are icons since they are very stylized and
      > are not intended to be a realistic style.
      >
      > The reliability of icons depends on what object you are looking at.
      Clothing of saints is unreliable, but that of servants is useful. Tents
      would not be subject to "sanctification" like the clothing of saints and
      angels, so can be of use. They would be simplified and stylized, so don't
      use them to count how many ropes to put on your tent, or feel you're
      restricted to red tents with gold trim just because the manuscript
      illuminator painted them that way. But you can feel comfortable getting a
      round pavillion with a center pole. If the authenticity police demand more
      than that, politely tell them where to go.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser