Re: [sig] New Member, so to speak

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
      On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Funk <dwfunk@...> wrote:

      > I'm partial to Caucasian Ovcharkas. Alas, long hair animals don't do well
      > down here in The Republic of Texas!

      We got to meet a couple of these in person on our recent trip to
      Georgia. The actual Caucasian working dogs, that is, not the
      Russian-bred pets. The guide books all caution you to stay away from
      them, since they are guard dogs, and you are pretty much by definition
      one of the things they are guarding against. :^) The first one we
      met was the guard dog (and yes, pet, I suppose) at the house we stayed
      at in Mestia - they kept him tied up during the day, well away from
      the guests and workmen. The second was in Ushguli, and he was one of
      the ones whose job it is to guard the flocks from wolves and bears.
      He looked like a bear himself, with his square head and little round
      ears.

      http://suncrow.com/blog/wp-content/210610usha4.JPG

      He had scars on his muzzle and wore an obviously home-forged
      iron-spiked collar. We fed him khachapuri out of the car window. :^)
      Happy, wag-tailed beast, but we'll stay in the car anyway, thanks !

      Kazimira
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
        Igolchatyi is probably more in line with our meaning, thanks.  Her other nickname is "Fuzzybutt", however, she doesn't want to use THAT in her SCA name.  ;-)

        Properly, she's a Russkaya Psovaya Borzaya.  Velvet is from two championship AKC Borzoi bloodlines.

        Cheers,
        Sfandra

        Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com