Re: [sig] New Member, so to speak

  • David Funk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
      Velvet the Fast! Cool!

      What kind of translation are you looking for? "Velvet" in Russian
      is бархат or barkhat (transliterated).

      I suppose "Needle-Nose" could be translated directly, it's more an adopted
      technical term, the word I've heard most that refers to "needle nose" I
      believe translates to "nippers" but that's for a pair of pliers.

      игольчатый (igolchatyi) means needle-like which is probably more in line
      with what you're looking for. I need to ask a real Russian.

      Do you know what type your Borzoi! is? And is it a Psovaya or Hortaya?
      Beautiful dogs!

      I'm partial to Caucasian Ovcharkas. Alas, long hair animals don't do well
      down here in The Republic of Texas!

      -david

      On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

      > Hi All!
      >
      > For those who aren't friended by me on Facebook... a) send me a note, I'll
      > add you! and b) You might not have heard my news....
      >
      > Sfandrinskaia Druzhina has a new member / mascot / DIVA -- Velvet the
      > Borzoi! I've added her picture to my Sfandra's Stuff folder on the group
      > home, if anyone wants a peek. She's a 6 year old retired racer/show dog,
      > and a diva doggie of the first magnitude. She'll be attending dog
      > friendly events and SCA lure coursing when possible. Velvet will be making
      > her debut at Market Day At Birka in the East
      > Kingdom at the end of January. I promise there will be more pictures
      > then.
      >
      > No, Aleksei & I did not get a borzoi simply because it goes with our
      > persona: we initially looked at borzoi because of our persona... then we
      > fell in love with the breed. Then we got lucky and were able to adopt
      > Velvet directly from her breeder/owner/handler. For those who know how
      > the AKC works, she's pointed but not finished.
      >
      > And if anyone can give me a Russian translation for both "Velvet" and
      > "Needle-nose", I'd appreciate it.
      >

      > Cheers,
      > Sfandra
      >
      > ******************
      > Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      > O.L., O.M., K.O.E., Haus VDK, East Kingdom
      > http://sfandra.webs.com
      > Never 'pearl' your butt.
    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
        On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Funk <dwfunk@...> wrote:

        > I'm partial to Caucasian Ovcharkas. Alas, long hair animals don't do well
        > down here in The Republic of Texas!

        We got to meet a couple of these in person on our recent trip to
        Georgia. The actual Caucasian working dogs, that is, not the
        Russian-bred pets. The guide books all caution you to stay away from
        them, since they are guard dogs, and you are pretty much by definition
        one of the things they are guarding against. :^) The first one we
        met was the guard dog (and yes, pet, I suppose) at the house we stayed
        at in Mestia - they kept him tied up during the day, well away from
        the guests and workmen. The second was in Ushguli, and he was one of
        the ones whose job it is to guard the flocks from wolves and bears.
        He looked like a bear himself, with his square head and little round
        ears.

        http://suncrow.com/blog/wp-content/210610usha4.JPG

        He had scars on his muzzle and wore an obviously home-forged
        iron-spiked collar. We fed him khachapuri out of the car window. :^)
        Happy, wag-tailed beast, but we'll stay in the car anyway, thanks !

        Kazimira
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
          Igolchatyi is probably more in line with our meaning, thanks.  Her other nickname is "Fuzzybutt", however, she doesn't want to use THAT in her SCA name.  ;-)

          Properly, she's a Russkaya Psovaya Borzaya.  Velvet is from two championship AKC Borzoi bloodlines.

          Cheers,
          Sfandra