What would the tents from the Russian areas have looked like?

  • Maryelizabeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2011
      Would they have used rounds, wedges, etc.? I am curious as my son is slowly getting his first set of garb (I am working on a basic kaftan, shirt and pants/trousers.)

      There seems to be plenty of information about the clothing for women, but very little for men. Because of this, my son has decided to go with a sort of "generic" look for now until he decides exactly where he wants his persona to originate from and when.

      I realize that there were many different peoples represented in this region - as there still is but was hoping that I could get a little bit of a point in a direction that might suit Ben.

      As we are working on getting our family's encampment together, we would like to incorporate each of our personas in some wa, which is not proving to be the easiest task as we have different interests.

      Thank you for any and all help,

      Maryelizabeth (Apollonia)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
        Greetings Lady Apollonia,
        I have a Russian icon in a book from late period showing a multi-color round pavilion. Most of my sources are 16C tho.
        I know a local guy who used a 2nd hand deck umbrella and scrap fabric / sale fabric to make a small round pavillion w/ sloping sides for overnight events!
        Knowing him I bet he bartered for the fabric.
        'dok

        On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 1:18 AM EST Maryelizabeth wrote:

        >Would they have used rounds, wedges, etc.? I am curious as my son is slowly getting his first set of garb (I am working on a basic kaftan, shirt and pants/trousers.)
        >
        >There seems to be plenty of information about the clothing for women, but very little for men. Because of this, my son has decided to go with a sort of "generic" look for now until he decides exactly where he wants his persona to originate from and when.
        >
        >I realize that there were many different peoples represented in this region - as there still is but was hoping that I could get a little bit of a point in a direction that might suit Ben.
        >
        >As we are working on getting our family's encampment together, we would like to incorporate each of our personas in some wa, which is not proving to be the easiest task as we have different interests.
        >
        >Thank you for any and all help,
        >
        >Maryelizabeth (Apollonia)

      • S. P. Maiorca
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
          On 12/6/2011 9:41 AM, Tim Nalley wrote:

          > Greetings Lady Apollonia,
          > I have a Russian icon in a book from late period showing a multi-color
          > round pavilion. Most of my sources are 16C tho.
          > I know a local guy who used a 2nd hand deck umbrella and scrap fabric
          > / sale fabric to make a small round pavillion w/ sloping sides for
          > overnight events!
          > Knowing him I bet he bartered for the fabric.
          > 'dok

          hi,
          I was wondering how reliable are icons since they are very stylized and
          are not intended to be a realistic style.

          -SPM

        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
            Greetings from Sofya,

            All the research I've done over the years has turned up very little
            specific information about Russian tents. Russians don't have the
            extensive secular illuminations that we have in the West to document tents.

            That being said, there are multiple 16th century Russian manuscripts
            showing tents - all of the round-type.
            See pages 14, 16, and 73 of the life of Alexander Nevsky
            http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/nevskii/nevskii.html

            Several are also in the Litsevoy Letopisny Svod.
            http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/index.html
            esp.
            http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/troy.html
            and
            http://www.varvar.ru/arhiv/gallery/manuscripts_russian/lit_svod/16-1.html

            And there's one in the Radzivill Chronicle showing a more-or-less white
            tent with a cross (beautiful corner?) and x-chair:
            http://nesvizh-zapovednik.by/new-35-0-ru.html

            But I suspect that other basic medieval tent styles such as wedge tents
            would be perfectly acceptible, since the Russian versions of the round
            tents match illustrations of Western European tents of the same type
            very well and the Russian manuscripts aren't showing lower-rank tents or
            complete camps.

            And knowing the Turkic influence throughout Russian history, I've wondered
            if tents like this could have been used:
            http://www.greydragon.org/trips/Oct-D&E/index5.html *

            I have also wondered if yurts may have been used by Russians, at least
            during the time of the Mongol rule. They definitely used them when they
            were staying with the Mongols. But I doubt they used them in Russia
            otherwise - moist mossy soil and felt tents seem like a bad combination.

            On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM, S. P. Maiorca
            <s.patrick.maiorca@...>wrote:

            > I was wondering how reliable are icons since they are very stylized and
            > are not intended to be a realistic style.
            >
            > The reliability of icons depends on what object you are looking at.
            Clothing of saints is unreliable, but that of servants is useful. Tents
            would not be subject to "sanctification" like the clothing of saints and
            angels, so can be of use. They would be simplified and stylized, so don't
            use them to count how many ropes to put on your tent, or feel you're
            restricted to red tents with gold trim just because the manuscript
            illuminator painted them that way. But you can feel comfortable getting a
            round pavillion with a center pole. If the authenticity police demand more
            than that, politely tell them where to go.

            At your service,

            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser