Re: [sig] Russian/Slavic Scrolls

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2011
      Greetings and a bow from Sofya to Lada!

      On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
      <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

      > I�m working of a Russian/Slavic, 12th century scroll... I�m splitting my
      > page in 2 like an open book.
      >
      > 1. Can the headpiece art be on the left-hand side
      > of the page? I have not found examples of such so I�m wondering.
      > 2. On the right hand side of the page I�d like to
      > break up the text with some scenic images about the recipient, however I
      > have not
      > been able to find examples that would have a manuscript with images
      > breaking up
      > the text and headers being used at the same time. Would this be
      > appropriate?

      What manuscripts have you looked at? There are dozens of them on the
      internet now. Here's an old collection I haven't updated since 2008.
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/manuscripts.html

      With a quick glance through them , I see the Povest' o Soloveskom Vosstani
      has a nice variety of what I would describe as "headers" and also pages
      with illustrations + text.
      http://kodeks.uni-bamberg.de/Russia/Texts/SolovVostFacs.htm

      The Life of Alexander Nevsky and the Tale of the Rout of Mamai would be
      similar.
      The Radzivill chronicle would be an earlier example of a nicely illustrated
      manuscript. The Kiev Psalter has wonderful illuminations, but puts them in
      the margins.

      > Any additional advice would be highly appreciated J I�m trying to make
      > this scroll authentic as possible, when it comes to design and layout.

      None of the Russian grants I have seen are folded the way you describe,
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/scrollsources.html

      and I only know of one authentic Russian grant "scroll" with any
      illuminations on it.
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Manuscripts/1372_gramota.jpg

      So you must be going for authentic Russian book style, not authentic
      Russian grant style.

      ;-)
      Just sayin'...

      At your service,