Re: Intro

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
      <<snip>>
      ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess, http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
      <<snip>>

      I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.
      Sofya's website comes to the rescue once again, with some period artwork, and photos of her re-creations to give you an idea of the various ways it could be worn:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

      Cheers,

      Asfridhr
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
        Greetings and a bow from Sofya,

        On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>wrote:

        > <<snip>>
        > ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess,
        > http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the
        > second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and
        > the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
        > <<snip>>
        >
        > I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.

        I agree that it looks like a veil.

        See also: