russian garb for honor guard

  • mustangkar03
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2011
      Hi everyone. I would like to someday on a royal guard, and i was wondering about a few things......

      1.) would it look funny if i was in women's garb while wearing a sword on my belt?

      2.) should i wear a veil/temple rings?

      3.) or would it be better to dress as a man?

      I'm trying to plan ahead in case i am asked to be a member of a guard unit (like during royal/baronial court), and i don't want to look absolutely ridiculous

      YIS,
      Lady Serafima
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2011
        I think it depends on your persona.   Is your fighting persona a man?  And yes, I know women whose regular persona are female, but on the battlefield are known by male names.

        If you're in a guard unit as a fighter, and your fighting persona is male, then wear male garb.
        If you're in a guard unit as a fighter, and your fighting persona is female, then I see no reason not to wear a swordbelt and sword with a dress.  Additional accessories would be at  your discretion; do you usually wear temple pendants or a veil?

        If we're talking Royal/Queen's Guard, check w/ the Guard Commander or chief retainer.   Some Royalty want a guard unit that's uniform, in livery or some such.  I've seen it done very well: every guard person, male & female, in matching houppelandes, etc.   Other Royals don't care as much.

        I'd say, if you're usually wearing female garb, stick with female garb.  If you fight as a male, then wear male garb in the situations that emphasize your fighting (like being selected for a guard unit).

        --Sfandra
        --who's always dressed female, including the times I was nicknamed "Banshee" and "Sniper".

        ******************
        Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        ******************

        ________________________________
        Hi everyone. I would like to someday on a royal guard, and i was wondering about a few things......

        1.) would it look funny if i was in women's garb while wearing a sword on my belt?

        2.) should i wear a veil/temple rings?

        3.) or would it be better to dress as a man?

        I'm trying to plan ahead in case i am asked to be a member of a guard unit (like during royal/baronial court), and i don't want to look absolutely ridiculous

        YIS,
        Lady Serafima

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2011
            > ________________________________

            My 2 zloty ... FWIW ... dress to "match" the rest of the guard to the
            degree appropriate. I would say DO wear something you actually could
            move/fight in. (Period or not, something like a "riding skirt" or hakama
            might be appropriate ... looks like a dress, moves like pants.) Depending
            on how much "theater" your "guardee" likes to do, you may have to hustle
            and/or be bunched together ... don't want someone stepping on your hem or
            getting tangled in elaborate sleeves and such.

            Generally, if you are invited, inquire of the commander of the guard and/or
            "guardee."

            If sword+dress seems odd, consider a (moderate sized) spear/glaive/halberd
            ... particularly if there are two in the Guard you can do that cool
            "crossed halberds blocking the way" thing when appropriate (good theater).
            Wear comfy shoes ... you'll be standing. Hit the loo before court.

            --
            Leszek
            These are my opinions. If they were divine revelation, your bush would be