Question about a photo

  • Maryelizabeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2011
      In the photos section, there is an album of 10th cent. doll clothes from Balka. The first picture shows a set of clothing that appears to be male. Would this be the type of clothing common for adults at this time? My son looked at the pictires with me and said tht those were the type of clothes he was trying to explain to me.

      Also, if this would be correct clothing for a Russian male, exactly how are the pants constructed? They sort of remind me of the "Hammer pants" from the 1980's.

      As far as a hat, would the fur-trimmed round cap go with this outfit?

      Thank you all for your help. Thankfully, it appears that the undertunics are fairly close to the t-tunics that I have been making for him up to this point, so am comfortable with at least one part of his "new" garb. He is switching from a Norse persona to a Russian Persona. Although he is looking slightly later in period, my son seems to favor clothing that is a little flashier than before.

      Apollonia/Maryelizabeth
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2011
        Greetings from Sofya to Apollonia,

        On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Maryelizabeth <peterbenma@...> wrote:

        > In the photos section, there is an album of 10th cent. doll clothes from
        > Balka. The first picture shows a set of clothing that appears to be male.
        > Would this be the type of clothing common for adults at this time? My son
        > looked at the pictires with me and said tht those were the type of clothes
        > he was trying to explain to me.

        I would agree that those clothes appear to be male. They are a classic,
        fairly timeless "eastern" style for men.

        > Also, if this would be correct clothing for a Russian male, exactly how are
        > the pants constructed? They sort of remind me of the "Hammer pants" from the
        > 1980's.

        The pants look a little short, maybe undergarments rather than trousers, but
        the construction principals would be similar. Two "leg rectangles" with a
        "crotch square" between them. See the image of "mens and womens underpants"
        in the same folder.

        See also:
        http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_recpants.htm
        http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_rectangles.htm

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KMC.html
        http://www.oocities.org/kaganate/clothing.html

        > As far as a hat, would the fur-trimmed round cap go with this outfit?

        Yes.

        > He is switching from a Norse persona to a Russian Persona. Although he is
        > looking slightly later in period, my son seems to favor clothing that is a
        > little flashier than before.

        Hopefully you've seen these already:
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Mordak/index.html
        http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/
        http://www.miklagard.nvg.org.au/ (Scandinavian "Rus")
        http://www.miklagard.nvg.org.au/costume/rus/trader/rus_main.htm

        At your service,

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
      • Maryelizabeth
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2011
          Lady Sofya,

          Thank you so much for your help! You have made my day as well as making my son very happy. BTW - Your name is absolutely beautiful!

          Apollonia