Re: Question about Omega brooches

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
      Resurrecting a thread from two(!) years ago:

      <<snip>>
      > There are a number finds of a kind of small penannular brooch with a large, trapezoidal ends that have turned up in Russia during the Viking Age, or possibly somewhat after that period. I've heard of them being called "Omega brooches" based on the shape. So far as I know, they've only been found in Russia.
      <<snip>>
      > Anyway, is anyone on the list familiar with any documentation involving this type of brooch?
      <<snip>>

      Hopefully I've managed to put together some information (finally!) about these brooches. It's mostly aimed at answering the questions of they are Viking Age, and were worn by Norsewomen (the answers seem to be 'no' and 'no'). But, it adds to some stuff I've written up for Slovo that might be useful:
      http://www.medieval-baltic.us/syulgam.pdf

      Hope it helps (or even better, inspires someone to look into Mordvin material culture which would be downright awesome!)

      Asfridhr, shameless self-promoter.