Re: [sig] Anyone know what a Dworanica is?

  • Howard Rachel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
      Way too similar to dvoryanin to be a coincidence, I'll bet. Possibly a
      reference to one of the bearers of the surname in question having been
      granted aristocratic status, made a "dvoryanin," circa 1905.

      Just an educated guess, mind you.

      Kazimir Petrovich
      Meridies

      On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Susan Saladini <susanrae@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Anyone know what a Dworanica is?
      >
      > Only reference is:
      > " Family originally of Polish ancestry. Have a "Dworanica" from the Russian
      > Ministry of Heraldry c 1905."
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Sof'ia
      >
      > --
      > Susan Saladini
      > www.spindlesend.net
      > susanrae@...

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
        Actually it is a charter of nobility which was granted to people/places either for merits or by a special concession by the Russian Emperor.
        Ciao

        Aldo

        " Family originally of Polish ancestry. Have a "Dworanica" from the Russian
        Ministry of Heraldry c 1905."

        Thanks,
        Sof'ia

        --
        Susan Saladini
        www.spindlesend.net
        mailto:susanrae%40gmail.com

      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
          <<snip>>
          > Anyone know what a Dworanica is?
          <<snip>>

          Dwór means 'court' or 'manor' (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dw%C3%B3r_(manor_house) ), so I'd lean towards it being some sort of grant of nobility/property?

          Sorry it's not much,

          ~Asfridhr
        • Susan Saladini
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
            Thanks everyone! That information is very helpful. I really appreciate it.

            Sof