Anyone know what a Dworanica is?

  • Susan Saladini
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
      Anyone know what a Dworanica is?

      Only reference is:
      " Family originally of Polish ancestry. Have a "Dworanica" from the Russian
      Ministry of Heraldry c 1905."

      Thanks,
      Sof'ia

      --
      Susan Saladini
      www.spindlesend.net

    • Howard Rachel
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
        Way too similar to dvoryanin to be a coincidence, I'll bet. Possibly a
        reference to one of the bearers of the surname in question having been
        granted aristocratic status, made a "dvoryanin," circa 1905.

        Just an educated guess, mind you.

        Kazimir Petrovich
        Meridies

        On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Susan Saladini <susanrae@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Anyone know what a Dworanica is?
        >
        > Only reference is:
        > " Family originally of Polish ancestry. Have a "Dworanica" from the Russian
        > Ministry of Heraldry c 1905."
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sof'ia
        >
        > --
        > Susan Saladini
        > www.spindlesend.net
        > susanrae@...

      • aldo
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
          Actually it is a charter of nobility which was granted to people/places either for merits or by a special concession by the Russian Emperor.
          Ciao

          Aldo

          " Family originally of Polish ancestry. Have a "Dworanica" from the Russian
          Ministry of Heraldry c 1905."

          Thanks,
          Sof'ia

          --
          Susan Saladini
          www.spindlesend.net
          mailto:susanrae%40gmail.com

        • Quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
            <<snip>>
            > Anyone know what a Dworanica is?
            <<snip>>

            Dwór means 'court' or 'manor' (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dw%C3%B3r_(manor_house) ), so I'd lean towards it being some sort of grant of nobility/property?

            Sorry it's not much,

            ~Asfridhr
          • Susan Saladini
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
              Thanks everyone! That information is very helpful. I really appreciate it.

              Sof