Lithuanian National Herb

  • Magdalena
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2011
      I found this passage on the Herb Companion page. Take note of the second paragraph. I thought of you Patricia.

      In Service
      Magdalena

      #3 Rue

      The herb known as rue has a bit of a split personality. Shakespeare hailed it as the "herb of grace" in a few of his works, and during medieval times it was lauded for its capability to ease cramps, aid in menstruation, and of course, ward off the plague and evil spirits. The Bible, however, refers to it as the "herb of regret," and associates it with sadness and bitterness, hence the term "You shall rue this day!"

      Today, rue is still valued for its medicinal properties, and recognized as the national herb of Lithuania. Traditionally, it is given to couples on their wedding day to give them clarity in their marriage, which makes the whole grace versus regret issue a bit more intriguing.

      Read more: http://www.herbcompanion.com/in-the-herb-garden/secrets-of-the-garden-5-mysterious-plants.aspx#ixzz1VCtF7rgR